GM Problems website

Page 2 of 2
Mike I guess you'r smarter than the rest of the population who keeps increasing the market share of Toyota, while GM keeps going down the toilet.
Every survey out there states that Toyota 'on average' is more reliable
than GM, Ford, or Chrysler 'on average'. I guess the general public and all magazines are stupid because there in absolutely no difference in quality between GM and Toyota. According to Mike they are identical.
Mike is even smarter than GM - remember the 'ROAD TO REDEMPTION', when GM ADMITTED they were inferior in quality? So even when GM admits they are inferior, they don't know what they are talking about because Mike knows that actually GM was and is just as good as Toyota.
If perception is so incorrect out there, where did this false perception come from?
You are confused, actually what I said was we see virtually little difference in the reliability of the vehicles, on the market today, among the thousands we service every week.. Every manufacture today is building good stuff that will last to 200K or more if properly maintained. The only real difference we see is style and price. You are also confusing market share with total sales. You are forgetting the market has been growing annually from the fifties when GM had nearly 50% of the market. The market was at 19.4 million in 2004, more than twice as many as were sold just 25 years age. There are currently 120 models from which buyers can choose. GM and Ford sell around 50% or ALL the vehicles sold in the US and GM and Ford are selling more vehicles than at any time in their history. Do you believe the domestics are just going to sit and watch the competition? Chrysler sales were up 2% in 2004 because of their new cars. GM and Ford will go up as well now that they are working on their car lines. GM and Ford spent their money on new trucks over the past five years because that is where the market is going. The imports don't even come close to domestics in truck quality let alone price. Toyota has the number one selling car but GM sells more cars. GM, Ford and Chrysler own the truck market that is expanding while the car market is shrinking. The top five selling vehicles in the US are trucks led by the F150. The Dodge Ram outsells the Camry. The best selling large SUV is the Escalade, the best selling mid size SUV is the Explorer and the small SUV is the Escape. Toyota does indeed make good cars but they are overpriced compared to the competition and that will hurt. Just look at all the Toyota one can find on domestic lots. The buff mags continuously have rated the Focus over the Corolla and the Civic the past three years. One recently rate the Camry sixth among six of its peers because of the high price Trust me GM, Ford and Chrysler are far from dead, they ALL outsell Toyota or Honda as much as three to one.
mike hunt
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Interesting. Didn't know much about them...except that they will run for many, many miles without the gasket and other engine problems found in passenger vehicles. Was curious how that managed that.
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:02:59 -0500, "James C. Reeves"

well alot of it is a matter of sheer size.. if you've got a gasket with 5x the sealing area, it's a hell of alot less likely to leak. big trucks also have far less start/stop cycles, usually they're fired up in the morning and aren't shut off until either the run is done or the end of the day. they do have their fair share of problems, but the average person just isn't exposed to them.
hth, Bret
Do you wonder why a diesel outlasts a gas engine? Do you wonder why an engine that is started and stop once a day will outlast one that is started and stopped ten times a day and run only 1/5 as many miles? Do you wonder why an engine that runs at 1/3 the RPM's of another will last longer? ;)
mike hunt
"James C. Reeves" wrote:

Yes, in fact, I was wondering. Of course, these engines are hauling around tens of thousands of pounds all the time too, vs. 3-4 thousand pound passenger cars.

James C. Reeves wrote:

These engines have their own set of problems....but....they are also built to a much higher standard then the average car engine. The build quality is much higher, the way that they seal the engine is often a much higher quality than the average car engine. Add to that, what other posters have mentioned....sheer size of the engine and components, low rpm, maintenance is performed religiously....etc.
Ian
You are entitled to believe whatever you want and buy what ever brand you wish. My over 50 years working in all facets of the automotive business from chassis design, to retail, to fleet service tells me you can pick any brand, bar none, and find hundreds of previous owners that will tell you everything they ever built is junk and thousands that will swear they were the best vehicles they ever owned. As to making a current purchase based on a vehicle that was manufactured ten or even five years ago, and not even sold by the manufacture today, is a pretty stupid way to judge the current vehicles they do sell.
mike hunt
Professor wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

He did, actually. He has a Ford Problems web site too. And if you look at either site, it's very clear that this is a thinly vieled attempt by a law firm to rack up disgruntled car owners to make money off of them.
STAY AWAY.
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.