GM Problems website

You are confused, actually what I said was we see virtually little difference in the reliability of the vehicles, on the market today, among the thousands we service every week.. Every manufacture today is building good stuff that will last to 200K or more if properly maintained. The only real difference we see is style and price. You are also confusing market share with total sales. You are forgetting the market has been growing annually from the fifties when GM had nearly 50% of the market. The market was at 19.4 million in 2004, more than twice as many as were sold just 25 years age. There are currently 120 models from which buyers can choose. GM and Ford sell around 50% or ALL the vehicles sold in the US and GM and Ford are selling more vehicles than at any time in their history. Do you believe the domestics are just going to sit and watch the competition? Chrysler sales were up 2% in 2004 because of their new cars. GM and Ford will go up as well now that they are working on their car lines. GM and Ford spent their money on new trucks over the past five years because that is where the market is going. The imports don't even come close to domestics in truck quality let alone price. Toyota has the number one selling car but GM sells more cars. GM, Ford and Chrysler own the truck market that is expanding while the car market is shrinking. The top five selling vehicles in the US are trucks led by the F150. The Dodge Ram outsells the Camry. The best selling large SUV is the Escalade, the best selling mid size SUV is the Explorer and the small SUV is the Escape. Toyota does indeed make good cars but they are overpriced compared to the competition and that will hurt. Just look at all the Toyota one can find on domestic lots. The buff mags continuously have rated the Focus over the Corolla and the Civic the past three years. One recently rate the Camry sixth among six of its peers because of the high price Trust me GM, Ford and Chrysler are far from dead, they ALL outsell Toyota or Honda as much as three to one.

mike hunt

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

Let's put it this way. I can not remember when I owned a vehicle that was problematic, domestic or foreign, in the past 25 years. When Toyota came to the US they sold junk, cheap. I owned a Toyepet. Over the years they improved in leaps and bounds. Toyota has indeed built some good automobile during the years you reference but they were generally smaller than the domestics with whom they competed.. A lot had to do with government regulation forcing down sized cars. The vehicles one buys today have little to do with those sold then, or even five years ago. The technology grows in leaps and bounds today. Today one can buy a

300 HP engine that get 25 MPG. I prefer RWD cars and owned several Lexus V8's because they offered better value for me than GM and Ford luxury cars at the time. Toyota got greedy and priced themselves out of my market. In 1999 I bought a domestic RWD V8 for most 25k less than what the Lexus dealer wanted for another Lexus. They seem to think that if you buy a Lexus you will always buy a Lexus. I bought five other vehicles from that same dealership and have another 2005 on order. Toyota makes good stuff but they are not worth the 20% to 30% more they cost to drive home than domestics from what we see in our business.

mike hunt

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

Actually I have three daughters and seven grand daughters. My advice to them has always been if you ar going to marry for love, fall in love with a rich guy. So far five have taken my advice, two haven't LOL

As to the history of cars, one need look only to the past five years since those are closest to what one can buy new today. Even those are 'ancient' compared to what is coming from the factories today.

mike hunt

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

Dealer service is what kept me sticking mostly with Chrysler (Dodge) for nearly two decades. The dealer I use has a excellent service department. Never a muffed repair job. Never having to take the car back. They're darn near perfect! So I mostly agree that service probably is the biggest item to consider (at lest for me). In fact my last purchase was a Chrysler (not a Dodge), yet I still went to the Dodge dealer to acquire the Chrysler model (and they service it too).

I did do a quick stint with GM a couple of years back. I got a bad Malibu (although J.D. Powers said it had the best initial build quality of ALL manufacturers in that class...guess I got unlucky that time). Then the dealer (but mostly the manufacturer, honestly) experience was atrocious! I sure didn't "feel" like a GM customer when they got done with me. :-( GM has a *lot* of work to do in the customer service department, in my opinion. I sure wasn't used to that sort of treatment before!

-Jim

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Interesting. Didn't know much about them...except that they will run for many, many miles without the gasket and other engine problems found in passenger vehicles. Was curious how that managed that.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Yes, in fact, I was wondering. Of course, these engines are hauling around tens of thousands of pounds all the time too, vs. 3-4 thousand pound passenger cars.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

well alot of it is a matter of sheer size.. if you've got a gasket with 5x the sealing area, it's a hell of alot less likely to leak. big trucks also have far less start/stop cycles, usually they're fired up in the morning and aren't shut off until either the run is done or the end of the day. they do have their fair share of problems, but the average person just isn't exposed to them.

hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

These engines have their own set of problems....but....they are also built to a much higher standard then the average car engine. The build quality is much higher, the way that they seal the engine is often a much higher quality than the average car engine. Add to that, what other posters have mentioned....sheer size of the engine and components, low rpm, maintenance is performed religiously....etc.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

He did, actually. He has a Ford Problems web site too. And if you look at either site, it's very clear that this is a thinly vieled attempt by a law firm to rack up disgruntled car owners to make money off of them.

STAY AWAY.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard