GM Pulls Out of Indy? Replaced by Honda & Toyota?

Heard this on the news this evening. If true, why would GM pull it's engines out of the Indy circuit? And, why would Indy allow Jap stuff in in it's place?
Had the world gone mad!? Indy is as American as apple pie, for pete sake!
GM was the only domestic engine in INDY. ALL the rest are imports. Since INDY has gone in the crapper over the past few years they figured it was a waste of time and money.
--
Steve

"James C. Reeves" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com> wrote in message
If you had been following, you would have noticed that "Chevy" engines have been totally non-competitive against both the Hondas and Toyotas, and for quite a while now in fact. Instead of doing what it takes to be a contender, they've apparently decided to withdraw and claim that they're no longer interested. As clear cut a case of"sour grapes" as you're ever likely to encounter.

it's
News==----
So GM just giving up everywhere? Market share? racing? Does that make sense?
| > > Heard this on the news this evening. If true, why would GM pull | it's | > engines | > > out of the Indy circuit? And, why would Indy allow Jap stuff in in | > it's place? | > > Had the world gone mad!? Indy is as American as apple pie, for pete | > sake! | > > | > > | > | > | > | > | > | | |
James C. Reeves wrote:

Not giving up on racing, just going to different series. The CTS is in Speed GT, Corvette is in Lemans, GTO is going to SCCA GT
"James C. Reeves" wrote:

Sure it makes sense. Look at NASCAR. Per pound of american iron they have 10X+ more viewers than the pathetic indy car series.
Why do you think Cart split? Indy cars have never been the same since. Tony George has drove open wheel racing into the cesspool. Name 10 current full season indy racing league stars and 10 current Nascar stars. Which could you do faster? Who gets more press? Indy car racing is essentially one race a year. Indianapolis. The rest of the year most people don't care.
Nascar has its own set of problems, but the numbers don't lie. If Chevy thought the numbers were there, they might have stayed.
Bob
having had the honor or disassembling a honda race engine once ( i
honda and ase cert well i was ase certified befire i let my certs go i can tell you the honda engines are far superior to the gm engines but i think it has alot to do with the troubles that gm has been havin financialy , probably looking to cut losses wherever possible
-- penumbral_shadowTrackpads.com! Community Forums, Gallery, more! 150,000 Photos, 3,000 Videos and growing! http://www.trackpads.co
They're leaving because they can't win races. Simple as that.

in
pete
Usenet
=---
Can't isn't a word winners use. Perhaps they've had that "can't do" attitude for a while now! Damn this is sad!
| > | > > Heard this on the news this evening. If true, why would GM pull | > | it's | > | > engines | > | > > out of the Indy circuit? And, why would Indy allow Jap stuff in | in | > | > it's place? | > | > > Had the world gone mad!? Indy is as American as apple pie, for | pete | > | > sake! | > | > > | > | > > | > | > | > | > | > | > | > | > | > | > | > | | > | | > | | > | > | |
On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 18:48:40 -0500, "James C. Reeves"

Not sure if you are aware of this, but the "Chevy" engine is actually a Cosworth (i.e. Ford) unit.
Chevy walked away from Indy in 2003.