GM Quality

I wondered just how well known " GM Quality " is so I Googled and found lots of news articles, among them this, from the Detroit Free Press May

29,2003

Why buy crap when you don't have to ?

Chuck in Phoenix

Reply to
Chuck

quality was great in 91.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~295,752 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

I'll second that.

Actually, the December 1990 production of the '91 Park Avenue.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

I'd have to say it was good n 88 as well because it seemed like nothing could kill my s10 until rust finally got it many years later.

Reply to
Eugene

My 1994 Z34 has 128,000 miles (hard miles) and I've only replaced wearable items at specified times. With the exception of the transmission going out at 121,000 miles. But considering how hard I drive this car I'm surprised it lasted that long.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

The BUICK 3.1 engine is an example of GM's quality program.

How long has that engine had problems with seals and gaskets ?

The BUICK Century is a well made car. It should last and last and last.

How many GM owners will say "never again" after a 3.1 engine failure ?

Reply to
Anonymous

It's not a "buick" engine. It's a Chevrolet engine.

Since it's inception. It's always had a problem.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I agree that this problem should have been fixed many years ago. On the other saying never again to GM for that is a nonsense. Geezzz, this repair doesn't cost more than 1 or 2 car payments and your good to go for another

2/3/4 years who knows ?

I have seen a few 3.1 with lots and lots of mileage. Its a reliable engine as long as you keep an eye on the coolant.

I am not trying to excuse GM, they pissed me off at times but all car makers have their strong and weak point.

For me its never again Nissan, good and reliable for 5 years then, that was one thing after the other , trany (manual), fuel pump, pressure plate, EGR, catalytic converter, the proof of another overrated Japanese product .

Reply to
rick

"Geezzz, this repair doesn't cost more than 1 or 2 car payments and your good to go for another 2/3/4 years who knows ?"

Which "1 or 2 payments" are you talking about ? The 1st one or the 60th one ? Oh, I see, you think that I should pay again for the new gaskets after I paid GM to do it right the first time.

Like I said, Never again.

Chuck in Phoenix

Reply to
Chuck

You certainly are entitled to you own opinion but I have news for you, no manufacture builds trouble free vehicle every time all the time. We are in the fleet service business, we have serviced hundreds of thousands of the vehicles, of just about every brand name, for large corporate and government fleets. The fact is ALL manufactures today are building good reliable vehicles, the only REAL difference we see among them is style and price period. That fact that a person may have had one that was problematic, or one that had few problems, does not mean that every one of the same brand is problematic or trouble free. The key to longevity is proper preventive maintenance. If you maintain any vehicle properly today it will easily run to over 300K before it needs to be replaced. Vehicles to corporate fleets are simply a 'tool' used in their business just like a PC, telephone or a desk.. They look at the overall cost of ownership in terms of the cost of acquisition, insurance, maintenance, repair and replacement costs. All manufacture offer a fleet discounts of around $500 and corporation buy nearly every brand, foreign and domestic. Corporations buy more domestics because of their lower overall cost effectiveness. Corporations unlike rental car companies, because of federal depreciation tax laws, generally keep their vehicles in service for five years or 300K WOF. Few vehicles, as a percentage in service, of ANY brand are replaced because of too many problems. Look at what is happening to Toyotas so called superior quality as they begin to sell millions of vehicles instead of just hundreds of thousands. One fleet turned in 30 of thier Avalons in less than two years because of so many problem resulting in too much down time. Customer surveys show several brands, even economy brands costing thousands less, are receiving better survey results than Toyota or Honda. I would suggest a buyer drive and price all those different brand that suit their needs and buy the one that best suits their budget. The odds are in ones favor that they will not get one that is problematic.

By the way gasket problems resulted from the governments restriction on the us of asbestos before a suitable replacement material was developed by gasket manufactures. All manufactures had gasket problems for a time, not only GM

mike hunt

Chuck wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Same in 71 and 73...

Fit and finish was sh#t in 1984 but reliablity was perfect.

Reply to
Dennis Smith