GM's 3.6L VVT engine

Does anyone have any experience with this engine. We are now looking at the GMC Acadia or the Saturn Outlook, and this is the only engine available. It appears to have been out since 2004 in the Cadillac CTS.
I looked at one in the Buick Enclave, and couldn't see where the spark plugs were, or couldn't even see a dipstick for oil or tranny fluid. Since we tend to keep our vehicles a long time (1994 Old Silhoutte 271,000 miles, 1996 GMC Suburban 6.5L diesel with 225,000 miles) it would be nice to know what the longevity of the new engine is.
Bill
wfyehl wrote:

Seems to be a good engine. I've only seen a couple in the shop. One had a problem with the advance mechanism on the cams....there is a bulletin out about the problem, I don't think it's a very common problem. The other one is in the bay beside me and has a coolant leak from a heater hose manifold at the rear of the engine. Quite nasty to work on, the transmission has to come out just to access the manifold.
Ian
shiden_kai wrote:

Ian,
Thanks for the info. We test drove a Saturn Outlook on Friday (5/11/07), and was impressed with the engine. I still have a fondness for the 3800 in my Olds. I was searching the engine compartment, and didn't see where the spark plugs were. Does the engine cover need to come off to access them (it sure looks like it)? They wouldn't let me take the cover off while looking it over.
Bill
wfyehl wrote:

Yes, the plugs are between the cams.
Ian