GM's Buick brand reaches crossroads

Page 2 of 2
Edwin,
Just to throw this out about my mention of offering multiple engines in vehicles. Now I am going back aways.
A 1967 Impala offered the folowing engines:
1 - 250 6 cylinder 2 - 283 V8 3 - 327 V8 3 - 396 V8 4 - 427 V8
A 1967 Olds Delmont 88 offered seven V8's.
250 hp 330 V8 260 hp 330 V8 300 hp 425 V8 310 hp 425 V8 320 hp 330 V8 365 hp 425 V8 375 hp 425 V8
A 67 Bonneville offered 5 V8's.
A 68 LeSabre offered only 1, a 350 V8 with either 250 hp or 280 hp ( 2bbl & 4 bbl carb ).
I would of liked more of a choice of "one" engine when I bought my Bonneville.
Harryface
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote:

Harry,
A two word reason for the limited engine choices: EMISSION RULES. You show a good example with the 68 LeSabre - the 67 LeSabre had at least 4 engines available (2 340s and 2 430s, maybe even a 300 if my old memory serves).
1967 was the last "uncontrolled" year Federally (I'll bet the number of choices in California in 1967 was not quite as large).
Each engine/transmission combo is each EPA weight class has to be run through a quite complex and expensive certification process that can cost upwards of $1M, so the manufacturers will only certify ones that will sell enough to make back the investment.
Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

The 1969 Impala was offered with these engines:
250CID straight-6 327 V8 350 V8 396 V8 427 V8
And among the V8's, you could choose either 2bbl or 4bbl carbs. Optional manual or auto trannys as well.
My Grandfather has a 1960 Impala wagon with V8 with three deuces (yep, in a *station wagon*!)

I totally agree with you here. Both of my Grand Prix's (a 1992 and 1991) were burgundy on burgundy. I loved those damned cars. Now a days, like you said, it's either grey, dark grey, or beige.

Looks are one thing... Americans seem to be swayed by glitz rather than gutz.
What I want is better quality construction, better reliability. I dont give a shit about new sheet metal, new colours, and more electronics.
If the A-holes at GM built and sold either of these two cars it would be as if they had the ability to print all the money they could dream of.
http://www.geocities.com/porsssss288/index.html

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070321/AUTO01/703210363/1148