GM's excess baggage - Buick, Pontiac, Saab, Hummer

Page 5 of 5

market: Rental Car companies. They don't care what the rest of us with our one-off purchases think. This comment is made a bit tongue-in-cheek, but what else explains the bland products they are making more of lately? Products only a rental car company would want.
GM's misreading of what the general public wants goes back many years. When I bought my first new car in 1990, I ended up with a Ford Taurus even though my dad was a GM employee and UAW member. Back then, GM had survey results that said their customers didn't want front passenger airbags. So they installed seat belts attached to the doors as passive restraints. I didn't want airbags, but those stupid seatbelts were even less desirable. Today: I want a mid-sized or full sized sedan with a stick shift. What is available from GM? I couldn't find anything. I bought a 2.3L Ford Fusion that I will drive until Saab brings their BioPower equipped model to North America.
Walt Kienzle wrote:

I think GM's problem is far simpler than that. They haven't a clue. Not even a tiny one.
I watch the way they've trashed the Saab brand in dismay for example.
Graham