GM'S Istar

Page 1 of 2
GM wants $20.00 per mth for someone to tell you how to go from one location to another,
It's just not worth the cost. most folks know were they are going and
how to get to their destination... (like if you don't know how to drive to work or vacation, then you got problems.)
plus if they do need assistance they can call either the AAA or CAA or learn to read a road map.
for a lot less dollars...
the computer software in most auto navigation maps are all outdated in a year or so, and just not worth the cost of replacement every other year. There is a new law coming down the road next year, no more analog signals, every one will be switching to digital,
that will make most of todays computer navigation equipment in to-days auto's useless. if they are installed in you car you won't be able to use them.
buyer beware. were has all the quality gone... cheers

<snip the nonsense>
1. It's OnStar not IStar, this shows how misinformed you are.
2. The basic package is $16.95US/mo ($199/a)and the directions package is $34.95US/mo ($399/a).
3. OnStar has a lot more safety orientated features than AAA or CAA could ever provide. Let's take a look: -CAA/AAA will never know when your airbags are deployed. -CAA/AAA has to dispatch a tow truck to unlock your doors for you. -CAA/AAA will not even look for your car if it's stolen. -CAA/AAA will not provide you with 911 type services at the touch of a button. -For $69.95US/mo OnStar will provide you with a secretary! Let's see CAA/AAA do that.
4. Get informed and if you don't like it, don't buy it.
Personally, I'd give my left nut to have OnStar just for the Safety and Security features.
Steve
The only nut you have is between your ears.
by 2008 Onstar will be useless, the computer software that GM uses in Onstar navigating about nine years old.
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 20:37:28 GMT, "Steve Mackie"

since you just have one I suggest you save it. cheers

What's your point.

I would be surprised of the system wasn't flash upgradeable or "e-prom/chip" upgradeable. Think about it. If the system in the car is no longer useful, GM looses the revenue stream from the service. That won't happen, I'm sure.

Good point James! Time will tell, but your comment makes good sense.
James C. Reeves wrote:

Well, GM says that there is no upgrade for most pre-2004 model year vehicles. Many of the post 2004 vehicle require a hardware upgrade which will only be available to those who sign a new 3 year contract.
John
Jake wrote:

Most Onstar equipped vehicles are at risk of loosing service when analog cell phone shuts down. This will start happening in the US in January 2008.
Real navigation systems with an in-car LCD display do not use the cell phone connection and will not be effected.
John
I cannot see anyone pay for Onstar, its history after 2008. I do prefer the lcd display. cheers...

I prefer the LCD display as well. OnStar is not history after 2008. Read the posts between 'stingray' and I, visit the links. You will see, older OnStar vehicles that are analogue only will not work after 2008, but OnStar systems are now Digital/Analogue capable so they will continue to work after the 100% digital requirement.
Steve
Steve Mackie wrote:

Older is sure a relative term. We are not talking 20 year old vehicles here, but cars which were sold as recently as two or three years ago.
John

Surely the older onstar modules are either upgradeable or pug-and-play replaceable.

Last I read, the subscription rate was fairly high. For those that like the benefit, why wouldn't they pay for it?

John, I don't believe that is the case. It is my understanding that as with many cell phones, OnStar uses both analog & digital signals. Actually, while typing this comment, I visited the OnStar site and have confirmed that OnStar now uses Analog/Digital (Dual Mode). Here's the scoop, under the heading "OnStar Equipment" :
http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/explore/onstar_basics/technology.jsp

with
while
Yes, but the older cars that were only analogue will cease to work once the system is 100% digital.
As noted here: http://tinyurl.com/8freg
Steve

I was aware of that Steve and in fact, it was set out in the link I provided John Horner to OnStar's website. My response was intended to address John's comments, "Most Onstar equipped vehicles are at risk of loosing service when analog cell phone shuts down. This will start happening in the US in January 2008." , by pointing out to him that "OnStar now uses Analog/Digital (Dual Mode)."
StingRay wrote:

As far as I can tell, GM didn't start putting in dual mode capable sets until 2003 or 2004, it is hard to find a straight answer. I am told that for our 2002 Olds I am SOL. Somehow buying a feature in 2002 which will become useless only six years later seems highly unsatisfactory to me, and GM certainly didn't warn me when I bought my car that the Onstar feature would stop working in six years.
Once again, GM sticks it to it's customers IMO.
John

This one you can blame more on the cellular companies....they are the ones that are getting rid of analog cell coverage.
Brad Clarke wrote:

Analog was clearly on the way out in 2002 when GM built and sold me my vehicle.

Then the question begs to be asked, if you knew that analog was "clearly" on the way out when you bought your car with OnStar, why are you blaming GM? John, when you point your index finger at GM, remember, there are usually 3 fingers pointing right back at you. John, you're flip-flopping worse than a politician here! Just like your "its history after 2008." comment. John, you've lost your argument on its two principle issues. Give it up and admit defeat! *lol*