GM'S Istar

Good point James! Time will tell, but your comment makes good sense.

Reply to
StingRay

Surely the older onstar modules are either upgradeable or pug-and-play replaceable.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Last I read, the subscription rate was fairly high. For those that like the benefit, why wouldn't they pay for it?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

True, I am "guilty" on not researching the technology behind Onstar when I bought my car. GM is likewise guilty of hiding the facts which as a big company in the know about what they are doing clearly could have and should have done better by it's customers.

But in the end GM will continue to be the looser. Onstar is going to loose a bunch of subscribers when much of the exisiting fleet of Onstar equipped vehicles stop working. People will stop sending their money to GM every month.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Well, GM says that there is no upgrade for most pre-2004 model year vehicles. Many of the post 2004 vehicle require a hardware upgrade which will only be available to those who sign a new 3 year contract.

John

Reply to
John Horner

You're grasping at straws. What 'facts' was GM hiding? Are you going to throw your old analogue cell phone at Motorola and yell because the cell company "hid the facts" from you? No, because you moved on, have a dual mode phone like 85% of cell customers today. Come 2008, the people using the old analogue StarTACs and MicroTACs will have to ditch their phones and go digital. Make sure you go pick up an old analogue phone and a foil hat so you can lead the wave of class action lawsuits.

The ruling took place in November 2002 (according to the OnStar website), and it was most likely just before GM vehicles got the dual mode upgrade. What model year was your vehicle? When did you buy it? Maybe you aren't to blame for getting a vehicle not capable of digital.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

John

Reply to
John Horner

The analogy is not a good one. I can get a new cell phone once per year for free simply by changing suppliers and getting a new contract.

If GM were smart, they would offer to swap out whatever needs to be swapped out in my vehicle to keep Onstar working, but so far they have simply said there will be no upgrade possible. So, if I want to keep Onstar GM's official position is that I need to buy a new vehicle. Hardly the same situation as a cell phone.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Huh, that's funny. You said it, let me quote: "I can get a new cell phone once per year..." "...GM's official position is that I need to buy a new vehicle..."

Hardly the same at all.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Oh excuse me John . Let me clip and paste your post at 8:15PM on 05/12/2005

Close but no cigar!

Reply to
StingRay

John, just out of curiosity, do you actually pay annually to use OnStar? I've never had cause to use mine and didn't renew it.

Reply to
StingRay