GM'S Istar

Page 2 of 2
StingRay wrote:

True, I am "guilty" on not researching the technology behind Onstar when I bought my car. GM is likewise guilty of hiding the facts which as a big company in the know about what they are doing clearly could have and should have done better by it's customers.
But in the end GM will continue to be the looser. Onstar is going to loose a bunch of subscribers when much of the exisiting fleet of Onstar equipped vehicles stop working. People will stop sending their money to GM every month.
John

You're grasping at straws. What 'facts' was GM hiding? Are you going to throw your old analogue cell phone at Motorola and yell because the cell company "hid the facts" from you? No, because you moved on, have a dual mode phone like 85% of cell customers today. Come 2008, the people using the old analogue StarTACs and MicroTACs will have to ditch their phones and go digital. Make sure you go pick up an old analogue phone and a foil hat so you can lead the wave of class action lawsuits.
The ruling took place in November 2002 (according to the OnStar website), and it was most likely just before GM vehicles got the dual mode upgrade. What model year was your vehicle? When did you buy it? Maybe you aren't to blame for getting a vehicle not capable of digital.
Steve
Steve Mackie wrote:

The analogy is not a good one. I can get a new cell phone once per year for free simply by changing suppliers and getting a new contract.
If GM were smart, they would offer to swap out whatever needs to be swapped out in my vehicle to keep Onstar working, but so far they have simply said there will be no upgrade possible. So, if I want to keep Onstar GM's official position is that I need to buy a new vehicle. Hardly the same situation as a cell phone.
John

mode
old
so
Huh, that's funny. You said it, let me quote: "I can get a new cell phone once per year..." "...GM's official position is that I need to buy a new vehicle..."
Hardly the same at all.
Steve

John, just out of curiosity, do you actually pay annually to use OnStar? I've never had cause to use mine and didn't renew it.
StingRay wrote:

John

Close but no cigar!

Uhh, if you clearly knew it was on the way out, then why did you get that feature on your car? In fact, everything you say is complete crap so get out of your mom's basement and go play with your friends. Oh, and by the way, that computer you are using? Yup, it was outdated the day after you bought it. Bet you knew that too though, right? Go TROLL elsewhere.

And RCA didn't warn you that your betamax would become obsolete when VHS came out. And VHS would become obsolete with the advent of DVD. That's the way technology goes John.

John, you appear to have lost focus here. My response was to your comment: "Most Onstar equipped vehicles are at risk of loosing service when analog cell phone shuts down. This will start happening in the US in January 2008." That is clearly not the case . Now swallow your pride John and say "Okay gang, I screwed up". ;-)
I've got a buck that says you don't have the cajones to swallow your pride on this. ;-)

Funny how that works, you know, technology, the way it keeps advancing.
Seems like only 4 years ago I bought 1.5GB of SDRAM for my computer, once I need a new motherboard I'm going to have to buy all new RAM because my old stuff won't work in new motherboards. Damnit computer manufacturers sticking it to the customer.
Someone mentioned Beta, how long did that last anyways? 4-6 years? Maybe? I remember my Aunt bought a Beta VCR for big buck in the early-mid 80s and once VHS came out they couldn't give Beta away.
Remember LaserDiscs? There was a short lived technology.
Just deal with it, no one is sticking it to anyone, and as someone else stated, it's the cell companies that started the switch from analogue to digital.
Steve

LMAO! I sure do! Thank Gawd my wife talked me out of buying one. They were amazing quality when they came out and I was sure they were the next video breakthrough. Ooops!