GM steering pump recall

I saw on the news that the defective part is supplied by a supplier partial owned by TOYOTA toyota blamed their supplier on the brake problem will they own up to making a faulty steering pump motor.

Reply to
Tom

What an insidious Plot By Toyota! SHAME!

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Toyota is taking over GM gradually

Reply to
Björn Helgaso

I first heard this was an electric steering motor, not a power steering pump. Do you know what the facts are?

Reply to
hls

Further to facts, the "mechanism" at fault is described in some news articles as a motor, not a power steering pump. It is made by a company of which Toyota owns a minority shareholding (22.5%).

Reply to
hls

Listen to the bullshit.

Toyota's supplier....yes.

It is also GM's supplier to "GM" specifications I bet. American made too, like the Toyota gas peddles.

I look at the bright side, as America's consumers don't buy either over priced brand, it is going to be easier for Tata, Zenn and China to move in. If you are going to buy an expensive problem, at least make it cheap.

The best safety numbers out there isn't GM-NHTSA but the insurance rates. Seriously, government is corrupt and lazy. Your insurance company knows the hard statistics including duration of ownship, another important number of satisfaction. Ask them.

But this whole industry of rating cars is in for a shakeout.

I aways check out insurance before I buy...

Reply to
Canuck57

Reply to
Mike Hunter

glad you think that way when I bought my 2010 chev. equinox my insurance went down 80 dollars a year from the 09 saturn aura I traded.

Reply to
Tom

The insurance company ratings are NOT a good way to compare one vehicle against another, since they crash test cars at a exponentially HIGHER rate of speed, in an offset collision, that is designed to set insurance rates not actually test of the survival RATE for properly belted passengers, as do the NHTSA tests. More importantly their test are NOT repeated Five times, as is required by the NHTSA

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Why?

Reply to
hls

The insurance companies have a rating for the cost of repair for various cars. Some were considerably more to repair in a 5 mph crash than others. Some low priced cars ere rather expensive to repair compared to some high priced models. I had a copy of it a few years ago but since I no longer have it, I'm not going to attempt to remember which cars were good or bad.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That makes good sense. Thanks, Ed

Reply to
hls

Saturn was GM for all intensive purposes. Did you ever price out a Honda Civic?

Reply to
Canuck57

Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Auto companies have some real accurate data on probabilty of accidents, costs, deaths etc. Very few auto collisions of signifigance are not reported to one insrance company or another. And companies like Allstate when compiling the data include everything about a vehicle model, not just one part of it.

I would bet their data is one whole lot more accurate than NHTSA-GM is. You bet. They could even add up the real costs.

Reply to
Canuck57

Thanks for agreeing that insurance company ratings are NOT a good way to compare one vehicle against another, since they crash test cars at a exponentially HIGHER rate of speed, in an offset collision, that is designed to set INSURANCE RATES, not actually a test of the SURVIVAL RATE for properly belted passengers, as do the NHTSA tests.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I didn't agree you stupid mindless ass.

GM-NHTSA are bullshit compared to data of an insurance company in every respect possible. The reason government does not use real data it is doesn't allow for politicial favoritism and screwing with the numbers.

Bet GM-NHTSA couldn't come close to predict> Thanks for agreeing that insurance company ratings are NOT a good way to

Reply to
Canuck57

Sure you did, dummy LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

It is very hard with Japanese companies to figure out who owns what. A good example is Aisian. Toyota owns a big chunk. Another big chunk is owned by Denso, but then Toyota owns a big chunk of Denso, etc., etc.

The GM power sterring unit in qestion is electrical power steering, not hydraulic. The electric motor provides the assist.

There were around 1100 complaints made about the GM electrical power steering. Not all involved failures, many were, I just don't like it types of complaints. So far there have only been a few crashes and one injury blamed on failed motors. When the motor fails, it sound a warning and turns on a warning light. Of course if you are in the middle of trying to avoid an accident this might not be much comfort. However, you can still steer the car, the effort jsut goes up.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I think they are actually sourced in Asia.

IIHS/HLDI provides the data for insurance ratings. They provide it directly at

Most of the cars in the same class as the recalled GM vehicles (Chevy Cobalt, etc.) don't have great ratings. See
one exception is the Prius, which has very good ratings in all categories except collision damage loss, and even there is very good compared to other small cars. The Corolla is pretty good too (but not great). If you are worried about bodily injury, you probably should stay away from a Suzuki samall car. Usually the small VWs do really well, but they aren't showing any injury data for those - I assume becasue of a lack of data. Of course one problem with using accident statistics to rate cars is that you can't separate out the inherent safety of the car from the type of driver that the car attracts. I'd guess that the Prius has such a good loss histroy because of the type of person who drives them, more so that becasue of the inherent safety of the design. The comparison beteween the loss histroy of the Camry and Camry Hybrid is an example of this. The Hybrid version has much better loss statistics. My belief is that this is becasue the hybrid version attracts more careful drivers.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White