GM steering pump recall

Page 1 of 2
I saw on the news that the defective part is supplied by a supplier partial owned by TOYOTA toyota blamed their supplier on the brake problem will they own up to making
a faulty steering pump motor.
Tom wrote:

What an insidious Plot By Toyota! SHAME!
--
Civis Romanus Sum

Toyota is taking over GM gradually

I first heard this was an electric steering motor, not a power steering pump. Do you know what the facts are?

Further to facts, the "mechanism" at fault is described in some news articles as a motor, not a power steering pump. It is made by a company of which Toyota owns a minority shareholding (22.5%).

It is very hard with Japanese companies to figure out who owns what. A good example is Aisian. Toyota owns a big chunk. Another big chunk is owned by Denso, but then Toyota owns a big chunk of Denso, etc., etc.
The GM power sterring unit in qestion is electrical power steering, not hydraulic. The electric motor provides the assist.
There were around 1100 complaints made about the GM electrical power steering. Not all involved failures, many were, I just don't like it types of complaints. So far there have only been a few crashes and one injury blamed on failed motors. When the motor fails, it sound a warning and turns on a warning light. Of course if you are in the middle of trying to avoid an accident this might not be much comfort. However, you can still steer the car, the effort jsut goes up.
Ed

My wife were driving home from Oklahoma a few years ago in her 1998 Buick LeSabre when the water cooled idler pulley committed suicide. The serpentine belt did not break but it wound around the engine and we had systems failures including power steering.
I am a relatively strong man, but it was all I could do to slow the car and exit the turnpike. My wife could not have done it - ever.
Maybe these power steering assist failures are less dramatic than those older systems. If not, they are definitely dangerous.
Should have been "My wife and I"...

I don't think the tensioner is actually water-cooled. My kid replaced the tensioner on his Bonneville, and as I recall from looking at it, going through the tensioner was just a way to get a coolant flow from one side of it to the other. Looked like stupid design to me, given the added coolant leak points. One of elbows was leaking on his, but since he had to pull the tensioner off to replace it, and he felt a bind point in tensioner arm movement, he replaced the entire tensioner too.
--Vic

On this one the tensioner could not be replaced separately from the water bypass. This unit gave no hint of problems until it cratered. It was an expensive repair.
On 02/03/2010 4:51 PM, Tom wrote:

Listen to the bullshit.
Toyota's supplier....yes.
It is also GM's supplier to "GM" specifications I bet. American made too, like the Toyota gas peddles.
I look at the bright side, as America's consumers don't buy either over priced brand, it is going to be easier for Tata, Zenn and China to move in. If you are going to buy an expensive problem, at least make it cheap.
The best safety numbers out there isn't GM-NHTSA but the insurance rates. Seriously, government is corrupt and lazy. Your insurance company knows the hard statistics including duration of ownship, another important number of satisfaction. Ask them.
But this whole industry of rating cars is in for a shakeout.
I aways check out insurance before I buy...
--
Politicians and GM don't provide anything, the tax payers do.

Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling LOL

glad you think that way when I bought my 2010 chev. equinox my insurance went down 80 dollars a year from the 09 saturn aura I traded.
The insurance company ratings are NOT a good way to compare one vehicle against another, since they crash test cars at a exponentially HIGHER rate of speed, in an offset collision, that is designed to set insurance rates not actually test of the survival RATE for properly belted passengers, as do the NHTSA tests. More importantly their test are NOT repeated Five times, as is required by the NHTSA

On 03/03/2010 9:14 AM, Mike Hunter wrote:

Auto companies have some real accurate data on probabilty of accidents, costs, deaths etc. Very few auto collisions of signifigance are not reported to one insrance company or another. And companies like Allstate when compiling the data include everything about a vehicle model, not just one part of it.
I would bet their data is one whole lot more accurate than NHTSA-GM is. You bet. They could even add up the real costs.

--
--------------
Politicians don't provide anything, the tax payers do.

I didn't agree you stupid mindless ass.
GM-NHTSA are bullshit compared to data of an insurance company in every respect possible. The reason government does not use real data it is doesn't allow for politicial favoritism and screwing with the numbers.
Bet GM-NHTSA couldn't come close to predicting how many Sierra's will have accidents this year that involve injury. Bet Allstate would be very close.
On 03/03/2010 6:05 PM, Mike Hunter wrote:

--
Politicians don't provide anything, the tax payers do.

Why?

The insurance companies have a rating for the cost of repair for various cars. Some were considerably more to repair in a 5 mph crash than others. Some low priced cars ere rather expensive to repair compared to some high priced models. I had a copy of it a few years ago but since I no longer have it, I'm not going to attempt to remember which cars were good or bad.