GM Styling...the real Killer

Beava, we lost all respect for you when June Cleava said to Ward, "Gee Ward, you were a little rough on the Beava last night!"

Reply to
Peter Daly

I have very fond memories of the 1967 GTO I once owned.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Now this is my favorite Pontiac, and it is in MY garage. 1965 2+2, sorry to say it isn't the high HP motor or a 4 speed but it'll do for me. Pictures are scanned (before we had a digital camera).

Terry

snipped-for-privacy@vonl.com

Thats a sweet car...one tip though...remove the chrome from around the rear fenders and add some fender skirts which were available for that year.

Reply to
Percy Von Trapp III

T,

Now that's a Pontiac ! Best looking full size 65 & 66 IMHO.

Neighbor has a 67 2+2 428 hardtop. Neighbor across street has 65 Cat sedan.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 32,839 91 Bonneville LE 304,991
Reply to
Harry Face

Very nice!! You should never apologize for that car, it looks fantastic! Are those the turbine mags on it?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Do you mean the 8 lug wheels that Pontiac had back then ? No they are not . I said the pictures weren't high quality ! LOL What was on the car in the pictures are 67 Chevy Impala SS wire hub caps . Took them off my brothers Chevy before the repo man came, long ago. I do have a set of 8 Lugs sitting in the garage waiting for me to clean up the rims .

Terry

Reply to
Terry

I've never seen 8 lug wheels on anything but trucks. Are you sure you don't mean 5 lug?

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

The new GTO is not ugly. It is a tasteful design, but not a stunning grab-you-by-the-eyeballs design, which some people seemed to want. The interior is very nice and the powertrain is fantastic. The fact that it is Australian is not a negative. In fact, if GM had had the sense to sell it as a Ausie Import super-car with an American heart (which it is) and had Mel Gibson (or some actor who looks like him) do the promos with an Ausie/Mad Max twist, the thing would have sold very well.

Dan Gurney has one (with hood scoops removed) and considers it to be one of his all time favorite road cars. That speaks volumes about how good a car it is.

- GRL

Reply to
GRL

Reply to
Terry

What has hurt GM was the decision made about 1993/1994 to close the West Coast style stuido and bring styling in-house. The 1993 F-Body were bold and still turn heads today (I drive a red 95 TA with the large wing.) In reading over the story of the 4th Generation F-Body published by Road & Track in 1993, you come away that those West Coast car designers were hitting on nitro!

The Soltice is the first to come out since the fall of the F-Body that captures the feel of a Pontiac, long hood, short deck. Nice balance and price all around. Considering giving up the TA for one. But, in typical MBA fashion, Pontiac missed the mark on the production numbers.

The Aztec was a shot at the edge generation X and Yers. Buick got it right. Everyone else kicked it to death.

Lets also keep in mind the Press has a nack for killing off ideas. Take the Ferio. Nice all around, would have given may imports a run for the money. But they kept at it until Pontiac just gave up. Today, they admit they were too hard and made a error. There could have already been a 3rd or 4th generation of Ferios with a good following. Now, its starting all over and could be too late.

Where is it all leading? Consider this. The 'offical' reason for pulling the Ferio was the business case for 100,000 units was "not there". 100,000 being the break-even point. Yet, in the Soltice case, Pontiac thinks it can make money on just 20,000 Solices. Maybe Pontiac will be like Lionel Trains. Just make a 1,000 units, call it a collectors edition then move on. Want one? Too bad, that be $ 38,000 please and this year its called a GTO. Next year its the all new limited edition Tempest.

Reply to
brxsep

Thanks for the link. I've never seen any wheels like that before. They must be fairly rare?

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

"Yaaaawwnnn"...excuse me.. boring.

Reply to
Beava Cleava

No need for you to apologize for your being boring. Some people just are that way. A word to the wise, though; it really does not make sense for you to post unsolicited messages apologizing. Tends to draw away from the sincerity of your message. Like you're bragging or something.

Enough said.

Reply to
nopcbs