GM Styling...the real Killer

Page 2 of 2
says...

'73 Judge? No such animal. The last year for the Judge was 1971. The '73 and '74 GTO's were corporate, compromised cars just like cars today. The last real GTO was 1972. The '74 GTO was nothing more than a Chebbie Nova with a shaker scoop. It was powered by a bottom of the line Pontiac 350 no less.
I'm afraid the days of GM being on top are a thing of the past. The decision to go cookie cutter "badge engineered" cars in 1982 was the biggest mistake. They basically killed off brand loyalty and competition between divisions. 20+ years later they are paying the price. Thank then GM CEO Roger Smith for that one(and countless others ...).
Dennis Smith

I have very fond memories of the 1967 GTO I once owned.
Now this is my favorite Pontiac, and it is in MY garage. 1965 2+2, sorry to say it isn't the high HP motor or a 4 speed but it'll do for me. Pictures are scanned (before we had a digital camera).
http://www.nanettes-place.com/terryspontiac.htm

for
Thats a sweet car...one tip though...remove the chrome from around the rear fenders and add some fender skirts which were available for that year.

T,
Now that's a Pontiac ! Best looking full size 65 & 66 IMHO.
Neighbor has a 67 2+2 428 hardtop. Neighbor across street has 65 Cat sedan.

Very nice!! You should never apologize for that car, it looks fantastic! Are those the turbine mags on it?
Roy
Do you mean the 8 lug wheels that Pontiac had back then ? No they are not . I said the pictures weren't high quality ! LOL What was on the car in the pictures are 67 Chevy Impala SS wire hub caps . Took them off my brothers Chevy before the repo man came, long ago. I do have a set of 8 Lugs sitting in the garage waiting for me to clean up the rims .
Terry

.
the
sitting
I've never seen 8 lug wheels on anything but trucks. Are you sure you don't mean 5 lug?
Dave

No I mean 8 Lug Wheels, built by Kelsey Hayes. They where Aluminum brake drums (heavy duty) with 8 lugs. The rims are where the tires mount like today's but with out the filler in the center. The brake drum is center part of the wheel. Check this link and click on the 8th picture down. http://www.carcraft.com/roadtests/972 /

What has hurt GM was the decision made about 1993/1994 to close the West Coast style stuido and bring styling in-house. The 1993 F-Body were bold and still turn heads today (I drive a red 95 TA with the large wing.) In reading over the story of the 4th Generation F-Body published by Road & Track in 1993, you come away that those West Coast car designers were hitting on nitro!
The Soltice is the first to come out since the fall of the F-Body that captures the feel of a Pontiac, long hood, short deck. Nice balance and price all around. Considering giving up the TA for one. But, in typical MBA fashion, Pontiac missed the mark on the production numbers.
The Aztec was a shot at the edge generation X and Yers. Buick got it right. Everyone else kicked it to death.
Lets also keep in mind the Press has a nack for killing off ideas. Take the Ferio. Nice all around, would have given may imports a run for the money. But they kept at it until Pontiac just gave up. Today, they admit they were too hard and made a error. There could have already been a 3rd or 4th generation of Ferios with a good following. Now, its starting all over and could be too late.
Where is it all leading? Consider this. The 'offical' reason for pulling the Ferio was the business case for 100,000 units was "not there". 100,000 being the break-even point. Yet, in the Soltice case, Pontiac thinks it can make money on just 20,000 Solices. Maybe Pontiac will be like Lionel Trains. Just make a 1,000 units, call it a collectors edition then move on. Want one? Too bad, that be $ 38,000 please and this year its called a GTO. Next year its the all new limited edition Tempest.

part
Thanks for the link. I've never seen any wheels like that before. They must be fairly rare?
Dave
The new GTO is not ugly. It is a tasteful design, but not a stunning grab-you-by-the-eyeballs design, which some people seemed to want. The interior is very nice and the powertrain is fantastic. The fact that it is Australian is not a negative. In fact, if GM had had the sense to sell it as a Ausie Import super-car with an American heart (which it is) and had Mel Gibson (or some actor who looks like him) do the promos with an Ausie/Mad Max twist, the thing would have sold very well.
Dan Gurney has one (with hood scoops removed) and considers it to be one of his all time favorite road cars. That speaks volumes about how good a car it is.
- GRL

as
of
it
"Yaaaawwnnn"...excuse me.. boring.
Beava Cleava wrote:

No need for you to apologize for your being boring. Some people just are that way. A word to the wise, though; it really does not make sense for you to post unsolicited messages apologizing. Tends to draw away from the sincerity of your message. Like you're bragging or something.
Enough said.