GM to pay in coolant repair cases

Page 1 of 4
GM to pay in coolant repair cases http://tinyurl.com/yoxklt
WASHINGTON -- General Motors Corp. has agreed to pay as much as $800 each to millions of customers to settle lawsuits that it sold about 35
million vehicles with faulty coolant and engine parts.
The move announced by lawyers Wednesday would close one of the largest product-liability lawsuits faced by a U.S. automaker. GM declined to say how much it expected the settlement to cost, but the agreement gives payments to customers even if they bought the vehicles used.
The suits stem from GM's use of Dex-Cool, a coolant it first introduced in its vehicles in 1995 and sold in more than 35 million cars and trucks between 1995 and 2004. About 14 federal and state lawsuits seeking class-action status have been filed against GM over a variety of problems in V6 engines linked to Dex-Cool.
Thousands of customers have complained of problems ranging from small coolant leaks to complete radiator and engine failure. Court documents show that GM has received tens of thousands of repair requests linked to Dex-Cool and engine gaskets in the affected engines, and considered recalls for some models.
Under the settlement approved by a California judge last week, people who paid for Dex-Cool-related repairs on 3.1-, 3.4-, 3.8- or 4.3-liter V6 engines within seven years or 150,000 miles are eligible for some payment from GM. Repairs made within the first five years are eligible for up to $400, while sixth-year repairs could receive $100 and seventh-year repairs $50.
If the damage went beyond the engine's cooling systems -- as many customers claimed -- GM is to reimburse them up to $800. The company will also allow owners who made multiple repairs to apply for multiple repayments.
GM spokesman Tom Wilkinson said the company settled the case because the lawsuits were "time consuming and expensive." He said GM was unable to estimate how many consumers might apply for payments.
As part of the settlement, GM is to pay $18 million in lawyers' fees and expenses. The settlement covers 49 states, excluding Missouri, which has an identical settlement authorized by a different court.
Owners and customers who have paid for Dex-Cool-related repairs have until Oct. 27 to submit a claim. Further details of the settlement and instructions for applying for payments are available at www.dexcoolsettlement.com.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

This is very interesting.
Looks like GM sent out a time bomb with every car for 10 years !
Amazing !
I am sure a lot of experts knew this practice was wrong for a long time.
Either GM has no experts or they knew what they were doing and intentionally made the cars to be with less lifetime so they would need to be replaced sooner.
It is similar to what Ford did when he sent people to investigate what parts in the cars being retired were still good so they could use cheaper parts.
This was the final straw as I am concerned.
I thought that GM was trying to make good cars but were just sloppy in management but it is obvious they do not care about their customers at all and are just like the medicine men in the past trying to sell anything as long as they can find anyone with money and sell them false hope.

Why are you amazed? You were not aware of the intake gasket issues for the past 15 years?

Or they simply elected to use inferior parts with the expectation that people would just fix them, and it would never come back to haunt them. Save on the manufacturing costs. Would have nothing at all to do with building them so that they would have to be replaced sooner.

Why? You needed a class action decision to convince you of the problems that had been identified over a decade ago, and verified by tens of thousands of cars? Why should this decision have any effect on your opinion of GM?

If it took you this long to realize that, then your powers of observation are sorely lacking. Are you related to Mike Hunt?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

He is my senile old grandfather

The link indicates that the reimbursements are about $400 up through the 5th year of the car's life, drop to $100 in the 6th year, and $50 in the 7th year. So, IMO, they are still dodging a substantial portion of the blame.
As in many other cases, GM knew they were producing crap, and continued to do it without conscience. And dumb old us continued to buy said crap.

Oh - I agree. To top that - how are most of the previous owners of those cars, who paid for repairs, or performed them themselves, going to document those repairs now? GM will get out of this pretty light.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

GM will not get out of this lightly. This is one more nail in their coffin. The money part of this is nothing compared to the loss of reliability and show how low quality they have been willing to put on their products. The goodwill of GM is gone and the badwill is growing. Getting goodwill is something you earn through trust. When you do not have goodwill and you do not have trust it is only a question of time before you can close the doors.

Unfortunately, the gasket debacle is not the end of the story for GM. New Impala's have problems consuming anti-freeze. You can talk to a dealer mechanic and he'll tell you they have no idea where the coolant is going. Right after that, he'll tell you they're not aware of any gurgling problems with the Impala that accompany the car not being able to throw heat while sitting still. Throws heat just fine while it's going down the road, but throws cold air if it's not moving. Nope - no problem there. This is exactly the kind of thing that took me from a 30 plus year GM bigot, and place 2 Hyundai's and a Mitsubishi in my driveway these days.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Just curious, but do you have any links about this problem with Impala's? You're speaking of the 2007+ model, right? I'm not being sarcastic (its a first for me, I know), I just haven't heard anything about this. 90% of our Police force use the brand new Impala's, and we build them here too, so I should've read about it by now.

I wish I did have one, but I don't. You're right though - lots of police depts use them so it would seem this problem would have gained more attention by now.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I'll keep looking. If I find anything, I'll post it.
Good point. The fact is most problems surface first among large cooperate and government fleet because the generally run up higher mileage in a much shorter time period. Large cooperate and government fleet receive much better service and things that can go wrong show up in those vehicles sooner.
Our fleet service business, that serviced thousands of fleet vehicles, was one of the first to discoverer problems with gaskets after asbestos was banded as well as one of the first to discover sludge accumulation it Toyota V6 engines that were serviced to Toyota standards. Our higher than average instances of warranty claims was noticed early on by the manufacturers

That's funny! You would most likely hate both Hyundai and Mitsubishi if you were buying the crap that they were both selling not too long ago as well LOL

that it has been a great dependable nice riding car that is holding great with over 140k miles. My interior and body and paint is in excellent condition except for some door dings. Engine still nice and tight too.

That would be quite characteristic of GM vehicles. They are notoriously good to drive for 200,000 miles with only routine oil changes, and care not to let them overheat. The body does hold up well on them. I do not think they produce junk at all. Your experience is not unique, but it's also not completely the norm either. Many of the 60 degree engines have required gaskets two or three times over their lives. Some of that may be due to gasket material, and some to other design issues.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

When my 95 GP cracked the gasket, I thought it was toast. But my local mechanic said it might be able to salvage it. He repaired it, and run 3 oil changes in one day through it with flushing everything. (He used old oil except for the last.) The car was great when I got it back.
Anyway, I had asked him if it was worth it, mileage and all, and if the problem was something I should worry about again. He told me when he first started doing those repairs, they would repeat. Usually at less mileage each time. Then he started getting some aftermarket gasket that I thought he said had more and different metal, but I may be mistaken on that. Anyway, he said since he started using the aftermarket gasket, he hasn't had a single repair come back to be done again.

That's pretty much the way it went Mike. For the first several years, both OEM and after market gaskets would fail after the repairs had been performed. With the evolution of the gaskets, this got better over time, but it took a very long time for really improved gaskets to hit the street. Today's gaskets are far better than what used to be available, but even at that, the after market gaskets are ahead of what GM offers, in terms of reliability. Using new bolts has improved the reliability of the repair also, pointing to movement issues between the parts, that can't simply be laid at the feet of the gaskets.
The shame of it all in my opinion, is that I believe all of the 3.X L engines are great engines, notwithstanding the gasket issues (and the plenum issues in the 3.8L). The 3.1L does suffer from piston slap on cold starts, and that's not comforting, but those engines seem to be quite unaffected by it. If GM had not been so much in denial about the gasket issues, and had tackled that issue head on, my opinions today would be much different.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

for coolant leak. Is this the same thing you guys have been posting about?

It might be. Keep us informed about the recall as you follow up with your dealer. I will find it very encouraging if GM is handling this issue more appropriately than they did the intake gasket fiasco. It would certainly restore some confidence for me.
--

snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net says...