GM to pay in coolant repair cases

Page 3 of 4

Oh no Steve - you're starting to sound like Mike Hunt. This argument has been beaten to death.

Why didn't every other manufacturer have the same continuing problems for over 10 years?

Tens of thousands was almost certainly low. How about nearly every 3.1 and 3.4 produced during that time period.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

For you I am sure it is.
Just imagine all those TENS OF MILLIONS of GM product out there on the road today, just waiting to implode.
Hell, all you Toyota guys that feel the need to come over to the GM group must be getting your rocks off big time.
Just checked my four Gm products in my driveway (don't need but two of them, the other two are for fun), and I feel the upmost confidence that thay will all do what they are supposed to do when I need (or want) them to do.
I think that the millions of GM products on the road today, and those which will be be sold tomorrow will be allright.
As far as the Toyota lovers go:
You guys are the freaking absolute KINGS, when it comes to recalls.
Get your own house in order first.
Stay in your own groups until then.

As I stated earlier, I have four "time bombs" in my driveway right now. Please pray for me in the event that I may need something reliable in the case of an emergency.
Of course, I guess it could be worse.
I could own a Toyota, the God-ordainded super, never failing, perfect automobile, that nowdays, consistantly recalls more vechicles than it sells.
But that is ok, as, what is the term that is used??? Oh, yeah, they do take care of their problems.

Get a grip!
And while your at it, please,
Take a hike!

Stay in your own groups until then.
I dont believe you direct the traffic here, coachrose ;>)

[...]

Time to take your meds, coachrose. Are you related to Mike Hunt ?
Mike wrote:

Thus spaketh the Traffic Director.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

And the "Traffic Director" has now thus directed thou to Takeuth a hike, son!
BTW, Jimbo, I was looking for you over in the Toyota group a while ago, and couldnt find you.

Actually, the heaviest does of medicine I usaully take is a glass of water, Thanks for your concern, though.
Also glad you countered points I made,as well. You could have, instead, resorted to insults.
BTW, you probably have more in common with Mike Hunt than I. You both share the same first name.
You guys related???
Sorry, Mike Hunt.
I just wonder if GM will pay to get DeathCool OUT of my car!!
Reminds one of Toyota ending its "class action" problem with its ongoing sludge problem that pushed off the solution to the problem with their extended ten year warranty. It is hard for the shark lawyers to pursue a class action when the company offers a warranty for all claims.
In both cases the manufacturer gets off the hook, the lawyers reap the rewards and the buyers get screwed ;)

I have a 97 GA with the 3.1. but I bought mine in Dec. of 1997 with only 8k mile on it from a dealer who leased it as a rental, so I am not really the original owner. I had the intake replaced at about 80k miles. Currently have over 140k miles on it. My question is since I am the second owner am I eligible for the refund? Or must I be the original owner?

Newsgroups are the best place to ask legal questions. Thank you for your interest and we will be contacting you shortly.
If you also need financial planning and want to make out your will, include that information also. We're here to help.

If he can prove that he had the repairs performed, then he would be the person who would be reimbursed, as I read the link. Maybe I am wrong.
But since that is a 1997 car, the time to failure would determine whether he got enough money back to worry with, if any at all.
Ok, maybe it's the cold meds talking, but I'm really confused by this settlement.
The site (and this article) say for repairs done within (x) many years of vehicle delivery, but it also says vehicles covered are 1995-2003. So, say I have a 96, just had repairs done last year, I'm SOL? If so, this isn't much of a settlement for those that still drive older vehicles yet only recently had the death-cool issue, not to mention when did (how long did) the "fixed" gaskets (take to) come to market?
Someone please clarify for me, thanks :)
-GV
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:55:08 -0400, Jim Higgins

If you took delivery in 96 and had repairs done in say, 99, you'd get a larger portion that your same 96 model after twelve years of use. Eventually, every part on that car will fail, it is just a matter of time, be it 12 months, 12 years, or 120 years. Don't expect to be covered forever. Dex cool aside, gaskets do fail from the constant heating and cooling of years of use.

I guess my point is (in the example) that if it took longer than 7 years for the problem to manifest itself (albeit it STILL happened) and the car still had under 150k by that time...even though you shelled out big bucks to get it fixed (because the car was still overall solid) you're SOL, right? Still doesn't seem fair to me, but maybe this damn cold still has my head cloudy and I don't "get it" yet.
BTW, could you roll a head gasket job into this as well? I've heard of a lot of situations, thanks to the lower intake manifold gasket going, that the engine would overheat, thus blowing the head gasket, and sometimes, the heads themselves needing a trip to the machine shop.
-GV
.

I haven't heard or seen any such situations. The intake gasket leaks are small leaks which cause their own problems, but overheating an engine to this point is a driver issue.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Sludge/oatmeal in engine = poor cooling = overheat = (potential) head/gasket.
-GV

My 2002 Monte Carlo just developed the gasket leak at 55,000 miles
no water in the oil just yet, but you can smell the anti-freeze burning off the engine. I have'nt' looked to see how bad it is just yet, but am keeping the coolent topped off.
Several questions.... do GM dealers recognize that this is a faulty component and are they making repairs at reduced prices ???
How much would I expect to pay for a repair.... gasket replacement only.
Is this a DIY job and if so... how long is it expected to take and will the parts be reimbursed by the settlement ??
Any thoughts ???
Thanks !!!
Peter

Some have. It all depends on how much your GM dealer values you. For the most part they didn't help the customer any.

Gasket kit is around $50 - $75. Felpro gaskets available on the aftermarket are your best bet.

If you're pretty capable with your wrenches, it's certainly within the grasp of the DIY'er. Expect upwards of 8 hours for your first time through this job. Half that after you've done one. Don't get your push rods mixed up! DAGS and you can find procedures on the net for doing the job.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Thanks Mike.... at least it's from the top of the car and not from underneath...
I'll pick a nice spring day... get some fresh air and tackle the job. Might as well, because, seems that chances might be I"ll be doing it again in another 80 - 100 K. ( the residual resale value is so low it doesn't make sense to sell it).
Thx again...
Peter