GM Turns to High Fashion, Home Furnishings for Design Cues (The New York Sun)

General Motors is aiming to make good on its pledge to improve the fit and finish of its once dull car interiors, and it's fashionistas ? and not stodgy auto writers ? they are hoping to impress. Engineers and designers from GM headquarters in Detroit came to town for Fashion Week, wining and dining models and the discerning members of New York City's fashion press. GM went so far as to set up a ...

=== Just one of Today's Top 10 Consumer News Stories:

admin

finish of its once dull car interiors, and it's fashionistas â?" and not stodgy auto writers â?" they are hoping to impress. Engineers and designers from GM headquarters in Detroit came to town for Fashion Week, wining and dining models and the discerning members of New York City's fashion press. GM went so far as to set up a ...

That makes me feel so much better about GM's dedication to durability and quality, and chances to pull their cashews out of the fire...

What can we look forward to? Carneby Street oilcloth seat covers, more chrome plated plastic inside, maybe even retro fuzzy dice with every car.

Reply to
<HLS

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@ithinknot.net...

IMO, they've been doing similar for decades(I know they want the headlines this repeat performance brings--plus I know they have enhanced the decades-old similar actions from the past.). Remember when most cars were black with brown--yes, brown--interior? The old and pretty wood-grained dashes (brown!) actually came in all cars, regardless of exterior color, even black? And the seat fabrics were all gray, of some shade, known at the time as mohair? And all headliners were the same drab earthtone which would soak up dust and make even a non-allergy-prone person sneeze--esp. when my dad made me whisp-broom the dust out to make 'em look new again? They claimed, or so I've been told, the move toward color-coordinated exteriors, seats, carpets, dashes, headliners--all these changes were due to GM hiring more females to work in the factories!?!? I, for one, have enjoyed the move away from one-color-fits-all. They also made shiny dashes that we dulled down to reduce glare & make driving safer. Then, they did all dashes flat/dull--and we spread armorall, as op's article said, to shine them back up again. So who said it's only a lady who enjoys the perogative to change one's mind? Can't help but wonder what colors we'll be seeing soon. Since greens are associated with depressed times, guess that'll be absent depending, of course, on which politicians make us believe their version of the state of our economy. With American co's trying to compete with imports, it will be interesting to say the least. Just think: higher quality engines! and higher quality trannies! and higher quality bodies! and now even higher quality colors?...?...? Happy shopping, American consumers. We should all benefit, esp. if the costs can be controlled. s

Reply to
sdlomi2