GM Variable Electric Steering on 2004-05 Malibu sedan

Have had absolutely no issues with it so far, save the following:

I would like to "feel" the car's relationship with the pavement a little more, esp in close quarters/parking. Is it possible to take it to the dealer and have them "detune" the effect of the VES by a small amount? Is such adjustment to Variable Electric Steering possible?

And how should I consult the dealer regarding this so they don't come up with some excuse that I must "go to an alignment shop" or "We can't do that"(because of some stupid law that may or may not affect that part of my car)??

-ChrisCoaster

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

As far as I know, there is no way of doing what you want to have done to your car.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"shiden_kai" wrote in news:GXxNe.69391$vj.63185 @pd7tw1no:

sorry! there is no way to 'detune' the p/s steering feel on the malibu. i,like you, dont care for the lack of road feel on the elec. assist design and unfortunatly see it as a inovation that is here to stay. no pump, no hydr. lines, no leaks are all a positive side to the system. hopefully they will come up w/software that can limit the assist speed of the motor to make it feel more like the public is used to..... kjun

Reply to
KjunRaven

_____________________ I think a little imagination & brainstorming is in order here. Kjun, you nailed it in your last sentence: Software & tweaking.

If they can make a radio that adjusts its volume relative to speed, and IMO the new Malibu is too quiet even at 70 to justify this gimmick, then they can make a VES that "authorized" GM technicians can adjust - within parameters.

Ian: NOTHING is impossible.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

yes, the SCV system was quite an attention getter for a couple of days when new. but even in a 03 half ton GMC i have never needed or used it since i decided to quit fiddeling with the bells and whistles of new techie stuff and pay attention to the road....$ka-ching$,,,every bell and whistle has its cost even if its not useful or needed.......as far as "authorized" GM techs only for software modifications. i vote NO. the dealer has enuff of a captive audience as it is now. my trust is not all that great for dealer shops. i dont care what the TV comms. say about training. ive worked at dealers where the only formal training was how to pencil whip a RO to the point a customer has to refi. there home after getting the call from there service writer........kjun

4
Reply to
KjunRaven

I agree!!! The SCV wins as one of the most idiotic automotove gimmick award in my book! Although we all know some of the other ones in that category, don't we? ;-)

Would some way for the owner to "choose" the level of "road feel" they want be an option?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I should have amended my statement to say "at this time". Of course you could probably tune the steering feel, but if you think that GM will do this.....I can only say that I doubt it. More then likely aftermarket people will come up with a way of tuning it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"James C. Reeves" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

im sure the right engineer could make adjustable steering 'feel' with a modified BCM addressed thru the DIC. personally i never had a prob with the verible assist GM has been using for decades. i imagine it is more cost effecient (read, cheap) for them to mount a scroll motor and rotational sensor in the rack and it is guaranteed not to leak hydr. fluid. maybe they should market it as 'no leak P/S' for all the folks w/stains on there driveway.............kjun

Reply to
KjunRaven