GM vehicle water pump life poll

Page 1 of 2
How long are folks seeing their water pumps last on GM vehicles?
If you've replaced your water pump, please state year, model, engine size, and mileage when the water pump is replaced. This will give people some
idea of when to preventatively replace the water pump, since when it fails, the vehicle often shouldn't be driven at all (to prevent engine damage).
I'll start with mine:
1993 Pontiac Trans Sport 3.8L replaced pump at 55000 miles
i got over 98 thousand before i had to replace my water pump on my 1989 c1500...
1990 Oldsmobile Silhouette 3.1L Engine leaking and replaced at 76, 432 miles
1992 Chevy Lumina 3.1L Engine leaking and replaced at 138, 000 miles.

My 1992 Lumina 3.1 pump was replaced at 107,000 miles, longest mileage I've ever gotten from a water pump before leaks or bearing failure. Roy

fails,
1998 K1500 GMC Suburban 61500 miles

fails,
90 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3.1L Water pump seized and replaced at 220k miles.

fails,

fails,
2003 Cadillac CTS - going strong at 2600 miles
:)
1990 Chevrolet Celebrity with a 3.1 V6
Replaced water pump 2 years ago at about 125,000 miles. May have been previously replaced.
Rarely have had to replace a water pump on any of my vehiles. My 1990 5.7L Suburban needed a new one at 109,000 miles and my 1985 2.5L Celebrity got over 102,000 miles on its water pump. The 1987 2.8 Liter Blazer needed a new pump at 120,000 miles and now has 90,000 miles on that pump. The trick is to maintain the cooling system as well as you maintain the engine oil or transmission (do it on a regular basis).
****************************************** I would rather be exposed to the inconveninces attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~
2000 Chevrolet Malibu 3.1L 31,000 miles (the pump began to leak)

fails,
1999 GMC Jimmy 56K miles and the original pump is still going strong.
GMdude
92 astro 143k miles original pump. regular coolant changes.
So far I don't see a pattern. Some seem to fail fairly early and some last well into the 100K+ mile range. Based on these responses it seems to me that it would not be helpful to just replace a water pump that is working fine. You may replace one that would have given you 150K miles of service with one that will only give you 40K miles...doesn't make much sense then.
| 1984 F-250 351 eng. Leak at 146k. | 1994 Cutlass Supreme. Still going 170k. | | | Gary | |
1998 c1500, 4.3l v6, waterpump started leaking at 131,000 miles - replaced.
1993 ASTRO 4.3W replaced at 10yrs / 141,000 Miles. Seal leak.
Chris

fails,
99 Venture 3.4L replaced water pump at 85,000 miles

fails,

Mine leaked at 87,000. I replaced it to find that the one on there had been replaced once already. This is a real pain on a 1993 3.8 Buick Lesabre since in their infinite wisdom, GM engineers make it necessary to raise the engine and remove the right motor mount which is difficult and also, the only place to jack up the engine is the harmonic balancer or the oil pan. Work on a GM vehicle and you soon learn they are NOT built for ease of repair, but more for junk yard fodder. Jap vehicles with their timing belt driven water pumps are bad enough, but GM keeps up by turning a 25 minute task into an all day job; and the Jap pumps seem to last lots longer that GM pumps. Automotive engineers must rotate from company to company since that's about the only way I can conceive of that inept engineering can be so widespread.
1993 Oldsmobile Delta 88 LSS with 3.8L
Pump completely self-destructed in a five minute period with no warning at 50,300 miles at 5 years 3 months of age
Just out of warranty...

fails,
My 1993 Oldsmobile Delta 88 LSS with 3.8L water pump was replaced at 240K Km, April 2003 (1 week before it was totalled)

Bought car February 4, 1991
Original Water Pump replaced @ 123,312 miles July 21, 1997 - 7 years 4 months old.
The water pump now has 137,172 miles and is 6 years 5 days old.
Prestone mixture good for - 60 below.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~260,000 miles_~_~~_