GM vs Toyota

Page 3 of 3
MSRP is meaningless today, I would suggest you go price vehicles on the market today and get a 'total drive home' price and see for yourself. For instance, my one son just bought a loaded V8
Mercury Grand Marquis GS, for a total drive home price of $10,000 less than the Toyota dealer wanted for a smaller V6 Camry that had an MSRP nearly $4,000 higher than the GM GS. The Avalon cost thousands more than the Camry to drive home and it is too is smaller as well and only equipped with a V6. I have a 2005 V8 Mustang GT convertible on order that has an MSRP of nearly $5,000 less than a V6 Camry Solara convertible
mike hunt
Sean Elkins wrote:

Just last year ago we got a new 04 Sierra, I believe the MSRP was around $30,200 (extended cab, long box, 2WD..quite a pain to find here) and it got driven off the lot for around $15k. MSRP is completely meaningless nowadays.
I know two people who have Toyota's and they have had good luck with them.
One friend has a 89 Camry, she brought it here ( to IL ) from California. Its looks great and has about 79,000 miles. Very little was done to it.
The other friend ( The Jewish Lawyer ) has a 01 Corolla with almost 100,000. Just routine maintennacne & wear items replaced. His 92 Corolla, he run up to 253,000 miles.The transmission died on a trip east to Allentown, PA. ( thats when he got the 01 ) He has the trans oil changed every 25,000 miles. He drives 30,000 miles a year.
In the 70's he had a Toyota Corona.
A guy I to bowled with, bought a ( new ) 1970 Bonneville 455 . It was the worst GM car he ever owned. Nothing but problems with it. He's had GM cars his whole life, and continues to buy GM.
A problematic 70's Skylark turned off a Math Teacher I know from buying from GM ever again. Yet the bowler friend had a 71 Skylark 2 door till 1994 and it was his favorite & best car he ever owned.
There's good & bad in all car brands
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,188 miles_~_~_
~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

Yep, intake manifold gasket leaks have been an epidemic on that series of engines for many years now.

It sure looks like the US auto industry is following the path first blazed by the UK auto industry.
John
Hardly GM and Ford together outsell all of the other manufactures combined.
mike hunt
John Horner wrote:
John Horner wrote:

over the world auto industry?
Say it ain't so ! I thought they were selling more units than ever......
"Market Share" is just one statistic. "Profitibility" is the "real" statistic. GM excels in profitibility. They build to suit a market share that can return a profit. If they can't return a profit they usually don't build or discontinue the car quickly .. . only to return with another model in another segment. Market share has little to do with it .. . or GM (whose cars can be excellent to turgid). Toyota is faced with a very different problem. They're competiting in a "closed" market and have to muscle in their market share, profitable or not. They make more excellent models and years than GM has but their cars can be $$. Watch out for the Koreans, GM & Toyota!