GMC AC problem. Please give advice. Thanks!

Hi, I've got a '97 Jimmy and the AC blows warm air :(. It was refilled once a few weeks ago and worked for a while but a couple days ago I turned on and blew warmer air than outside. Thanks for the help. Dan.

Reply to
OC-MD

Years ago, I had a Dodge that had a great air conditioner, and I had been to the Grand Canyon in summer, so I know it was good. All of a sudden, it started blowing air that was just luke warm. Not hot. Not cold. I checked everything that I could find, and came up empty. So, I drove it to the nearest air conditioning shop. They went over it and told me that it needed a new Evaporator Pressure Regulator (EPR) valve. OK. About four hours later, they told me it was ready. I paid them and drove off. Once the day heated up and I was 200 miles away, I turned on the air conditioning. Luke warm. Damn. So I drove the car another 1000 miles to get it to the dealer where the car had been purchased. They went over it and told me that it needed a new EPR valve. OK. This time I told them that I would pay for results. About four hours later, they told me it was ready. I got in, started the engine, started the air, and it blew luke warm! I got the service manager to stick a thermometer into the central vent, and he was trying to tell me it was normal. Bull! I told them it doesn't sound like it did before, so look harder. They got into the passenger compartment air intake to the air conditioner and found a plastic bag. It had gotten sucked off the floor of the car and it was blocking about 95% of the air flow. They removed the bag, and everything blew cold. Moral of the story: Look before you leap.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

Possibly your temperature control unit in the dash is don't working correctly. Or even a vacuum leak to it.

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

Who refilled it? Did they evacuate and run a vacuum check for leaks? Have you checked to make sure the compressor clutch is engaging? We need more information. H

Reply to
Hairy

It is quite obvious you have an leak.Take it to someone reliable that can pressure test the system.Have any leak repaired and go from there.Ac is not that complicated once you know the basics.Get a book on it learn the operation then you,ll have an idea as to the procedures to follow and the questions to ask. It is very tricky trying to diagnose long range.

Rey

Reply to
Reynaud

I'd like to say thank you to all of You for the good ideas. Since I had no time to take it to a shop so far (work 7days) I started to learn about the subject on the Net, a little extra knowledge won't hurt :), and then I'll take it to a mechanic so I'll know what to look when he's doing his magic. If I found out where's the bug in the system I'll share it, it might help for others too. Thanks, Dan.

Reply to
OC-MD