GMC Envoy fule reading problem

Hi I have a GMC Envoy, 2005, the fuel only reads when it gets down to 1/8 of a tank, has anyone any idea why this would happen. Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers pompey
Thread archive:
More than likely this is a tank unit problem.

thank you so much for your reply. Would this mean it is a big problem to fix. cheers pompey
"Shep" wrote: > More than likely this is a tank unit problem.
> > > Hi > > I have a GMC Envoy, 2005, the fuel only reads when it gets > down to 1/8 > > of a tank, has anyone any idea why this would happen. > > Any help would be much appreciated. > > Cheers > > pompey > > > > -- > > Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.AutoBoardz.com > > interface > > Thread archive: > > http://www.AutoBoardz.com/GMC-Envoy-fule-reading-problem-ftopict247296.html > > > > > ----== Posted via Pronews.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure > Usenet News==---- > http://www.pronews.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! > >100,000 Newsgroups > ---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Depends on what you consider a big problem. Parts will be in the neighborhood of $300 and you'll have to drop your gas tank to replace the sender. Likely you'll have to replace some gas line at the same time. Not guaranteed, because if you live in a climate that does not cause a lot of corrosion, your lines may be ok, but it's at least reasonable to expect you may find some pretty corroded gas lines.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I have the same problem on my Pontiac. The shop that replaced the tank didn't replace the sender for the fuel gauge. I carry around a 1 gallon gas container now. Had to use it many times at first. If you don't fix it, you will get to know how far you can go on a measured amount of fuel. Like: always put in 8 gallons and you'll know when it's time for more, by watching the mileage guage.
Why not just get the sender replaced? Why not simply fill it up and then multiply the mpg by the number of gallons you added, to indicate how far you can go? Why always put in 8 gallons?