GMC Jimmy Electrical Problem?

I have a 1996 GMC Jimmy. I bought her new and have put 127,000 + miles on her. She is a gem. However, for the last 27,000 miles the electric windows have been acting up. The front passenger window will sometimes cause the dome light to flash when it is going up or down, and sometimes the dome light stays on (have had a drained battery from this). The driver window will sometimes "stick" so that is doesn?t go all the way up. Not fun when it starts raining. Both problems work themselves out and then start again at random. Now to add insult to injury, her gauges are acting up. Her oil pressure gauge will drop when I?m sitting at a stop light, and pick up again when I accelerate. The temperature gauge will climb past 210 and then drop to 150 (I don?t think the temperature could drop that fast if I lived in the Arctic even). I?ve talked to several mechanics as I don?t trust the people at my dealers shop (they screwed me once, and won?t get a second chance), and they are all puzzled. I figure it has to be a bad fuse, or relay or something. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. (Not all Jimmy?s are lemons, mine?s just sick)

Reply to
dhoneybuny

Sounds like a bad Battery to Engine to Chassis ground. Clean all the contacts starting with the battery terminals and work outward from there.

Reply to
Bob D.

"dhoneybuny" wrote: 1996 GMC Jimmy Electrical Problem

Driver window will sometimes fail to go all the way up. Passenger window operation sometimes causes the dome light to flash. Sometimes the dome light stays on (has drained the battery.) Both problems disappear then start again at random. Gauges are acting up. Oil pressure gauge drops at idle increases at acceleration. Temperature gauge will climb past 210 and then drop to 150. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

So many electrical problems at once suggests bad grounding.

Confirm that there are good ground connections from battery-to-engine and from engine-to-chassis. Retighten/replace ground lines in cables from doors into door posts. Retighten/replace ground line from instrument panel to chassis. Check/replace dome light switch at door post. If the gauges are telling the truth, then maybe: Engine bearings are getting looser from wear. Thermostat is defective - opens late.

Good luck

Reply to
Wendy & John

I had the gauge problem on my 1998 Jimmy My fix was a new switch cable. It is the cable from the fire wall to the ingnition switch. My gauges would act crazy going from one extrem to that other, then it would stop and not do it again for weeks.

I also had a window motor go out but that was a sperate issue.

[...]

Tim