gmc jimmy hub prob?

Hello, My 99 Jimmy is making a rubbing/vibration in the front right wheel. I just repalced all 4 tires & still have the same prob. I hear these vehicles have a hub problem. Any idea what this could be? If so can I fix it myself? Im pretty good with cars.

Thank you Robert

Reply to
Rob

Rob,

When do you hear/feel the noise/vibration (Be specific)? This could be a brake problem or hub/bearing problem. I had the left hub/bearing assembly replaced on my '99 Jimmy at 12K miles. The right bearing was replaced at 17K miles.

I'm a mechanic, but these repairs were done under warranty. That's why I bought the truck,... I don't like to work on my own vehicles when I get home.

GMdude

Reply to
GMdude

GMdude, I think its the hub bearings. The noise/vibe is at any speed & louder when the steering wheel is turned ever so slightly to the left of right of center @ 55mph. Can i replace this or do you know how much its going to cost to have a shop do it.

Reply to
Rob

on my 98, it ran about $300 bucks (independent shop). while you are here - have you had any problems with the cooling system? mine is loaded with the dex-cool silt - and have a friend that had a complete cooling system failure. just wondering...thanks.

| > When do you hear/feel the noise/vibration (Be specific)? This could be | a | > brake problem or hub/bearing problem. I had the left hub/bearing assembly | > replaced on my '99 Jimmy at 12K miles. The right bearing was replaced at | 17K | > miles. | >

| > I'm a mechanic, but these repairs were done under warranty. That's why | I | > bought the truck,... I don't like to work on my own vehicles when I get | > home. | >

| > GMdude | >

| |

Reply to
chetldr

no not a prob with anything other than the hub.

Reply to
Rob

Rob,

That sure sounds like it would be a bearing problem unfortunately. I did a quick price check at Napa Auto parts. The hub/bearing assembly is $214.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I rate this job as a 4.5 to 5, for difficulty. If you ever did a brake job, you would be half way there, as far as removing the hub on your Jimmy. Once you remove the brake components, there are 4 bolts holding the hub to the spindle, and 1 large center nut, holding the axle to the hub.

GMdude

Reply to
GMdude

Chetldr,

If you have the brown silt in the system, flush and change the coolant now. These trucks are prone to intake gasket failures. My friend at GMC and I, believe it is due to the Dex-Cool coolant, but there is no documented proof of this as of yet.

Watch for intake gasket coolant leaks. Check your oil for coolant contamination, when you change your oil. Also check for external leaks. If you have had to add coolant regularly, you may have an intake leak. Check your radiator cap too. My factory cap started leaking at 40K miles. I installed one made by Stant. It's been doing great so far (1 yr).

External intake coolant leaks, are more common than internal, on this truck.

GMdude

P.S. I worked for Pontiac/GMC for 8 yrs. I now work for a municipality, but retain my contacts at GM in good faith (The machanics I worked with). They give me all the inside information.

Reply to
GMdude

Thanks, I have done brakes so i think ill attempt it. does it require any special tools or pullers? are there any clips,spring etc to watch out for? how big is the spindle nut 1 1/8?

Thanks again!!!!

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Rob,

No special tools. Maybe an Allen socket set or Torx set for the caliper. I can't tell you what size the socket should be for the nut on the axle. I know it's between 30mm and 36mm. Yes, metric.

I have all the tools, but I don't remember which you will need. I just try to slip one on and grab another if it doesn't fit.

If you have a metric ruler, measure the nut from flat to flat. That is the size you need.

GMdude

Reply to
GMdude

Hi again, I have the red coolant ...should i switch to the traditional green? Also Im considering running 5w30 mobil1? what are your thoughts. By the way I a High Voltage electrical mechanic(engineering background)...so if i can return a favor let me know. Youve been a great help!!

Reply to
Rob

WRT Mobil1. I run it in my 94 4.3. Have been since about 95,000 miles, and a different brand full synthetic for the 15,000 before that. No leaks or any problems yet that have anything to do with the engine oil. I have 113,000 miles on my 94 Jimmy and don't burn a drop of oil or leak a drop of oil between oil changes, went 5,000 miles alomst on the last one.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Rob,

Thanks for the help offer. I'll keep you in mind. I'm also an electrical guy. My specialties as a mechanic are on-board computer diagnostics, fuel injection, turbo-chargers, super-chargers, and electrical diagnosis. But,... I know the mechanical stuff too. You can teach any monkey to turn a wrench. :-)

I built the computer that I am sending this message on.

I also dabble in, machining, and mig/tig welding. An oxy-acetylene torch is not foreign to me, also. Diesel engines are my latest frontier. I think I have them figured out though? I have been maintaining a fleet of 20 transit busses for 6 years now. Detroit diesels.

GMdude

Reply to
GMdude

Rob,

Use the coolant specified by GM, DexCool. The seals and gaskets in your engine were designed for this. No green coolant!

Instead of Mobil 1, get a blended motor oil, like Valvoline Dura-Blend. It has the best of both worlds. Semi-synthetic. I run this in my truck, and it's doing fine at 60K miles. It's cheaper too. By about $1 to $1.5 per quart.

GMdude

Reply to
GMdude