GMC Jimmy Stalls and is burning WAY too much gas

I have a 91 Jimmy 4WD with the 3.4L V6. The car starts excellently and purrs and drives fine...for a while. After driving at highspeeds, if i stop (at an intersection or something), the car stalls quietly. It
starts again fine, but the same problem reoccurs at the next stop. Also, in the last 2 days it has burned 1/2 a tank after driving about 17 miles or so. Are these problems related?
I replaced the spark plugs, dist. cap, spark wires and pcv valve a few months ago.
The two theories i have are the EGR valve and/or the ignition coil. I have heard similar problems that get solvency from these two things, but i never hear of the massive fuel consumption. Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my only mode of transportation. Thanks in advance!
-phil
You must be given to extreme exageration Phil. You cannot burn half a tank in 17 miles unless: A: Your Jimmy is on fire or B: You have a two gallon tank. If one of the above is not true, then you have a bad leak. And such a leak could cause the driveability issue that you state. Stop with the theories. Start with the facts and true observations.
Are you really al bundy?
I've lived and I've loved ... later on I even married.
Al Bundy wrote:

How are Peg, Bud, Kelly and Buck? :-
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Sounds like a fuel injection problem to me. You don't have a "Vortec" engine by any chance, do you?