Gmc pick up

I have a 1984 gmc pick up. The pads were metal on metal. It just scratched the rotor a little on the inside of the left rotor. I put metallic pads on, and the truck stops fine, doesn't pull etc. Will the pads on that side wear out prematurely, or will they just wear into the grooves, and it will be business as usual?

Chevrolet

Depends on what you mean by scratched. If you used semi metallac pads they will seat to the rotor.Check the ruber hoses to the wheels and the lines as well. I would never take chances on brakes. Going is fine but you always want to be able to stop. Your life or others may depend on it.

Reply to
Chevy Man

Your answer I like. The top two 3rd's of the rotor wasn't scored. The bottom 3rd was. I'm hoping that the pads will eventually smooth out the bottom 3rd of the rotor since I used mettalic pads, but that's probably asking allot. I really don't want to take off my rotor right now, cuz I'd have to do it in the rain. They don't pull or anything. They work excellent. Knock on wood....thanx for your reply....

Get them turned when these pads wear out , they're going to wear into the grooves left by the others . IF they can be cleaned up before they go past minimum thickness spec . Shoulda had 'em turned this time ... But that's just my shade tree opinion .

Reply to
Snag

Yet another free bit of advice, which of course may be all it's worth: if the rotor was so bad that it absolutely should've been turned, and your description of it matches what I'm 'seeing', the worst scenario is the new pads will wear out pre-maturely/soon and need replacing again. Then, turn/check for minimum thickness. Here's a somewhat comforting theory (should generate some feedback, including *faults* in the theory): A rotor with grooves, mated to a pad that has worn to fit & mesh nicely with the grooves, has MORE surface area of pad-to-rotor than a set whose surfaces are completely flat! sdlomi2

Reply to
sdlomi2

As I said "DO NOT TAKE ANY CHANCES WITH YOUR BRAKES!" Noone could sit at home and diagnose the condition of a brake rotor or brake system. If your motor, transmission or rear fail you can have it towed home. If your brakes fail, in the rain or elsewhere you are an accident looking for a place to happen. Do it once and do it right.

Reply to
Chevy Man

How do i remove the truck bed from a 1998 gmc short bed HELP!!!!!

-- Message posted using

information at

gerard1939

Take out the bolts that hold the bed to the frame!!! You also need to remove the fuel filler neck from the box and the wiring for the tail lights.

Reply to
Mike