Gn Tech 2

Hi Y'all, I am working on a 2004 Chevy Venture, Tomorrow I have to replace the BCM. I was going to do it today but I could not find the Chevy Venture in the TECH

2 Where is it hidden.

Thanks Tom

Reply to
Tom Byrum

Isn't it V.I.N. specific?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

My question is how is this guy using one and NOT know where to find these things. You'd think GM would train everyone that would have a need to use the tool on how to use it.

Reply to
Mike Levy

He didn't ever really say he worked for GM...

Reply to
Paradox

well considering the Tech II is an extremely expensive GM and dealer-use only item... he'd have to to use one.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Anybody can buy a used one off of E-bay, GM dealers aren't the only ones that can get these scanners.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Did you pick "light duty trucks" instead of the "passenger car"?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Maybe a used one can be gotten for that cheap, but not a new one.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Sorry, this isn't clear, the u-vans are located in the "light duty truck" menu, not the "passenger car" menu.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Can't be too expensive, every once in awhile I see someone hawking one at a swap mart, probably stolen.. should pick one up one day, would probably be useful, either that or get the Tech-2 program for the computer and make the ODB-2 to serial port cable so I could run it off my PC. I heard they are around $500, not super expensive, I'd expect any corner garage worth its salt to have picked one up over the years.

Reply to
Paradox

You could also buy one brand new:

out of the OTC tool catalog.

thanks Ian

Refinish King

PS I was just wondering if you programmed in each vehicle by VIN?

Reply to
Refinish King

Brand new:

Try over $2800.00!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

No, at different screens and at different points, you may be asked to pick an engine code or year code, but other then that you don't use the VIN much. You do use the VIN when performing software updates, but the scan tool will "request" that from the vehicles module.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Damn talk about GM's parts markup...

Reply to
Paradox

That's from OTC:

out of the OTC catalog from the MAC tools truck. It's better than any aftermarket scan tool. In fact, Motor Magazine wrote in an article: "If you intend on specializing in certain brands of cars. It would be in your best interest to invest in the factory brand scanner"

look at what Ford uses now?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Thank you Ian!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Dang I did mean to start an uproar, let give this another shot and start some more with a little explnation; I recently got out of the military after

13 years of work> >
Reply to
Tom Byrum

Do they have an online order site for motor magazine? Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

If I'm not mistaken;

Otherwise, when I finally get to sleep and wake up, I'll get a copy of the magazine and post the address if this is wrong.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

That's the url. I used to have it once before. Thanks Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig