Gn Tech 2

Hi Y'all, I am working on a 2004 Chevy Venture, Tomorrow I have to replace the BCM. I was going to do it today but I could not find the Chevy Venture in the TECH
2 Where is it hidden.
Thanks Tom
Isn't it V.I.N. specific?
Refinish King

TECH
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 23:01:11 -0400, "Refinish King"

My question is how is this guy using one and NOT know where to find these things. You'd think GM would train everyone that would have a need to use the tool on how to use it.

He didn't ever really say he worked for GM...

well considering the Tech II is an extremely expensive GM and dealer-use only item... he'd have to to use one.
-Bret
Bret Chase wrote:

Anybody can buy a used one off of E-bay, GM dealers aren't the only ones that can get these scanners.
Ian
You could also buy one brand new:
out of the OTC tool catalog.
thanks Ian
Refinish King
PS I was just wondering if you programmed in each vehicle by VIN?

Refinish King wrote:

No, at different screens and at different points, you may be asked to pick an engine code or year code, but other then that you don't use the VIN much. You do use the VIN when performing software updates, but the scan tool will "request" that from the vehicles module.
Ian
Thank you Ian!
Refinish King

Can't be too expensive, every once in awhile I see someone hawking one at a swap mart, probably stolen.. should pick one up one day, would probably be useful, either that or get the Tech-2 program for the computer and make the ODB-2 to serial port cable so I could run it off my PC. I heard they are around $500, not super expensive, I'd expect any corner garage worth its salt to have picked one up over the years.
Paradox wrote:

Maybe a used one can be gotten for that cheap, but not a new one.
Ian
Brand new:
Try over $2800.00!
Refinish King

the

Damn talk about GM's parts markup...
That's from OTC:
out of the OTC catalog from the MAC tools truck. It's better than any aftermarket scan tool. In fact, Motor Magazine wrote in an article: "If you intend on specializing in certain brands of cars. It would be in your best interest to invest in the factory brand scanner"
look at what Ford uses now?
Refinish King

you
Do they have an online order site for motor magazine? Charles
If I'm not mistaken;
www.motor.com
Otherwise, when I finally get to sleep and wake up, I'll get a copy of the magazine and post the address if this is wrong.
Refinish King

best

That's the url. I used to have it once before. Thanks Charles
Tom Byrum wrote:

Did you pick "light duty trucks" instead of the "passenger car"?
Ian
shiden_Kai wrote:

Sorry, this isn't clear, the u-vans are located in the "light duty truck" menu, not the "passenger car" menu.
Ian
Dang I did mean to start an uproar, let give this another shot and start some more with a little explnation; I recently got out of the military after 13 years of working on Diesel engines and ships I wanted to work on cars and trucks, so to learn I started working as a fleet mechanic, at a car rental company. (Been there for 6 months.) We have a small shop with only two mechanics and over 2000 cars at our location. That is how I have the use of the TECH 2. The reason I asked the questions is the lead Mechanic is on vacation and I had to get it done. I have not had any Factory Training (yet), I have looked all through the TECH 2 under pass, cars and light duty trucks and I just can't find the Venture.
Thanks for everyones replys Tom