GRAND PRIX TORQUE CONVERTER

I have 2002 Grand Prix SE and I am sick of how the torque converter thing works in my car. Torque converter locks up at 35 -40 mph, when driving at highway speeds car is "locked" and doesn't accelerate on 4th gear without reduction, car has no power. I took it to a GM service they did a test drive and said everything is how it should be. It is so weird to me, is it really how it supposed to be? I've heard the TCC solenoid can be disconnected, how? Thanks!

Reply to
Raf

Don't disconnect that unless you want to void your warranty and burn up your transmission.

Reply to
Celica Dude

Then please tell me how to "fix it"..GM dealer told me that everything is fine...are all GP's like this?

Reply to
Raf

Your Torque Converter should lock at low throttle in over drive. It should unlock if you either press the brake peddle or depress the accelerator.

Older GM Lock-Up Torque Converters were known for what is reffered to as "hunting" Between cirtaint speeds they would cycle locked-unlocked-locked-unlocked.

Unless you are depressing the throttle past 1/4, it may be normial for the Torque Converter to remain locked. So unless it is "hunting" or saying locked past 1/4 throttle the GM dealer probably won't find a fault with it. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Tapping the brake pedal will cause the torque converter clutch to disengage. It shouldn't re-engage until conditions warrant (as determined by your PCM). If you have a tach, you can just watch for the rpm increase when tapping the brake. It doesn't take much.

Reply to
hyundaitech