GTO Sales article.

If you think the Nissan G35 or 350Z are ugly, you have "unusual" taste.

The Prius is styled for maximum mpg and as a consequence a minimal Cd. Aim for that and you have to end up with something like the Prius. Same for the Insight. The Element and corresponding Scion model are not really ugly. They are just very plain looking boxes. Again, they were styled that way to offer lots of room and a cheap price to the Gen X types who supposedly reject traditional styling.

The Aztek was a triumph of really bad taste over some clever design features. It looks like something that a moderately talented kid would come up with for what cars would look like on the Bizzarro Planet in the old DC Superman comics. Whoever approved the design at GM ought to be fired. The know they screwed up, too (sales figures showed them that in no uncertain terms). I recall that just before they announced the decision to kill (wisely) the Aztek, GM turned some stylists with talent loose on the Aztek and came up with a quite handsome design. I think it was in Car and Driver magazine. Why the redone design was not the original design that went to market is a question it would be very interesting to know the answer to. GM does really stupid things like this from time to time and they NEVER seem to learn from their mistakes. Even Bob Lutz does not seem to have the ability to make GM "do the right thing".

For example, why is the new Malibu, by all accounts a very nice car, so damn homely? Why is the new GTO so damn homely? Why after percolating on the Saturn Ion for something like a decade and having a good Opel "chassis" to work from, did they screw it up so bad that it was almost painful to read the Car and Driver review of it (as a GM stock-holder)? Why did they kill the Camaro just as Ford was about to issue a refreshed Mustang (that will sell like hot-cakes at a church breakfast) and instead issue that stupid, underperforming, over-priced, over-weight quasi-pick-up truck the SSR? Why is the forthcoming Cobalt (again, by all accounts it should be a very nice car) so uninspired in styling that people will have a hard time telling it from a Cavalier?

I mean, what's with the people that run GM? Doesn't anybody there actually like cars?

Reply to
GRL

They are Very Ugly. Most Japanesse Cars & Trucks are. Toyota made some decent looking ones in the mid 80's and 90's. They make Two ok ones under the Lexus name. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Here in IL cars with antique plates can only be driven to/from car shows and/or repair shops. I drive it to/from work a bit and don't want to risk a bunch of tickets.

Scott

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com writes:

Reply to
Scott Zabolotzky

All good points. I couldn't agree with you more.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Zabolotzky

All excellent points. But, Lutz has changed since he left Chrysler. He doesn't even have his office respond to customer letters any more. I know...he still has two from me in as many years yet to be responded to. I've not even seen a form letter saying "thanks for writing". So you're right. The "car guy" that had all the promise when he came to GM has instead been consumed by the "old guard" GM culture, it seems.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I just sent him an e-mail the other day and he responded within a couple of hours. Of course, it could have just been an assitant/admin responding to the e-mail but from reading it I got the sense that it was him. Maybe I'm just fooling myself though...

Scott

Reply to
Scott Zabolotzky

Well, maybe that is a positive sign.