guages fuse pops

1985 Chevy van g20 305 ci auto tranny gauges fuse pops, Think I could figure this out if I had a decent schematic. Resistance from the fuse holder to ground is a dead short with the ignition switch in the run position open when off. Have completely remove the instrument cluster and removed wires from oil pressure sensor, oil pressure switch, air diverter. resistance to ground is still zero and fuse still pops. Obviously this circuit goes other places besides the instrument cluster and the sensors but the schematics I have are pretty worthless. Would appreciate any help I could get. Once I heard something that sounded like an electric motor run when I put the fuse in. This lasted for a second or so before the fuse popped.
Reply to
Jimmie

The AutoZone website has wiring diagrams. I don't remember the exact sequence but, I believe you have to register, then click on Repair Info, follow the prompts.....when you get to the right page, the wiring diagram link will be on the right side of that page.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Problem found, Had a radio installed at Circuit City a while back, Workmanship was really crappy. Thought as long as I was in the dash I would redo the wiring for the radio. This fixed the problem. Apparently the gauge circuitry also feeds the radio lights. New radio did not use the old light wire so it was just tucked in behind the radio where it eventually shorted out.

Reply to
Jimmie

At least this is what I think has "fixed" it. Can someone verify that I am correct. There may be an intermittent short that is going to get me again.

Reply to
Jimmie

sounded like an electric motor run when I put the fuse in.

Could be a short in the blower resistor, or bad ground from blower housing to firewall. Blower motor could have short, disconnect blower resistor. You might want to dummy up a decent battery powered bulb setup for tracing. Disconnect car battery, power up suspect circuits with 3 vt battery setup, this light current won't blow fuses, and will allow you to identify all outlets on power lead, could be as simple as a jammed cigarette lighter. Good luck

Reply to
451ctds