gurgling noise in dash

Threaded View

I have a 1996 GMC Jimmy. When I crank it in the mornings everything is fine
except when I turn a sharp right or left I can hear a gurgling noise in my
dashboard. I think this is my heater core but I'm not sure. I've checked all the
fluids (oil, transmission, radiator, power steering) but everything is full and
have found no leaks underneath. My heater still works but I have noticed in the
past couple of days that the temperature gauge doesn't go up as high as before.
Anyone who can help as to what might be going on would be a great help.
Thanks

--
mommy42grls

View
Re: gurgling noise in dash

except when I turn a sharp right or left I can hear a gurgling noise in my
dashboard. I think this is my heater core but I'm not sure. I've checked all the
fluids (oil, transmission, radiator, power steering) but everything is full and
have found no leaks underneath. My heater still works but I have noticed in the
past couple of days that the temperature gauge doesn't go up as high as before.

It sounds like you have air in the cooling system, quite possbly from a
leak. I would be looking for that seriously. The temperature gauge can
read LOWER when there is air at the sensor rather than coolant and
damage can be occuring.

Re: gurgling noise in dash

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 22:27:48 +0100, mommy42grls

except when I turn a sharp right or left I can hear a gurgling noise in my
dashboard. I think this is my heater core but I'm not sure. I've checked all the
fluids (oil, transmission, radiator, power steering) but everything is full and
have found no leaks underneath. My heater still works but I have noticed in the
past couple of days that the temperature gauge doesn't go up as high as before.

Check the drain tube that comes through the firewall behind the heater
core. Sometimes they clog. If it is you can rod it out with a piece of
stiff wire. BTDT.

Re: gurgling noise in dash

  I presume the coolant overfull tank is what you looked at to check the
coolant level.
  I wonder if it's possible for a bad radiator cap to allow air into the
system while still displaying coolant in the overflow tank.
  Or a hole in the hose which goes to the overflow tank, preventing the
transfer of coolant to and from the radiator.
  Or both.
  The radiator cap would be just something to check (or maybe just
replace anyway as periodic maintenance, they're only a few bucks).
  I'd think if you had actual coolant sloshing around in the heater box
you'd smell it and have foggy windows, etc.

Re: gurgling noise in dash

I just changed the water pump on my 99 jimmy, I heard that gurgling sound
when I first started the truck back up, it happened when I revved the engine
a bit, that to me was the sound of fresh GREEN antifreeze traveling to the
heater core.

Re: gurgling noise in dash

On 1/9/06 2:19 PM, in article
13220-43C2B74A-323@storefull-3271.bay.webtv.net, "Gomer Einstein"

I had that noise in my 96 Jimmy, and I think it was air. I had a leak in the
radiator where the oil cooler line connects at the top. The radiator would
drain to just below that level, and you'd hear the gurgling. I fixed the
leak, replaced the thermostat and radiator cap, and refilled the system,
problem solved.

Re: gurgling noise in dash

   Do you have AC ?    Often times the evaporator makes noise when
refrigerant stops circulating.  Nature of the beast.  I agree with the
other poster that it could be air bubbles in heater, or clogged cowl drain.