Hard Steering Problem

Trying to fix a '80 Chevette w/o power steering. It has rack and pinion steering and steers ungodly hard, it takes two hands to on the wheel to drive it, even with the front wheels off the ground. The front end is seems
to be lubed well, my thoughts are the problem is in the rack and pinion. I have felt through the boots on the tie rods connecting to the rack and they feel greasy inside. I backed off the steering adjustment on the rack and pinion about a full turn but that didn't seem to make a difference. My question is if I just screwed that adjustment cap/plug out too far would it be almost impossible to screw it back in because of the spring inside. I don't know how strong that spring is. I should add that I disconnected the steering column to isolate the problem.
WHY in God's Holy and gracious name would you attempt to fix a 1980 CHEVETTE????? If you want/like a small car you can get a 90 something Cavilier or Grand Am for peanuts
Other than that...I would bet a rebuilt rack from Advance Auto ($131.79 with $10 core charge) or Autozone would be a much better bet than messing around with adjustments. That is if you are 100% sure it is bad or plan on keeping the little bugger for a while longer
8upman

seems
they
it

<lots of stuff snipped for boredom>

Don't worry about eight.... he just learned that he had opposable thumbs and he's feeling extra brave today
Vuarra
OH SHIT...I have opposable thumbs?????? Why didn't someone tell me that????? Damn...and I was looking for my third elbow all this time.....
wrote:

(when translated sounds like "latin dick its all good")
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 23:28:26 GMT, "Eightupman"

Because it's RWD. And a Chevy Small Block will fit under there.
Really.

Those things will go on forever just like HarryFace's Bonerville.
Vuarra