Hard to shift gears.

Hi

I have a hard time shifting gears or even getting it into first with the clutch all the way down. What can result this. My Grand-Am is a 1990 with the original clutch.

Thanks

Dan

Reply to
Black Bomb

You either have a hydraulic problem, leaks from the master and/or slave would be the most common, maybe just a tired master or slave......or you have a defective pressure plate. Both of these problems can cause the clutch to not dis-engage completely when you push the pedal all the way down.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Thanks Ian,,another question regarding your answer, if I have the clutch replaced, will they replace the parts you mentioned?

Thanks

Dan

Reply to
Black Bomb

Usually, a *clutch job* is defined as replacing the pressure plate, clutch disc, and release bearing. Some vehicle have an integral release bearing/slave cylinder. I believe your vehicle has a separate slave. In that case, if you had some sort of hydraulic problem, you would need to have that diagnosed and repaired separately. If it happened that your clutch was worn out, and you had hydraulic problems, then I guess you would get the whole lot repaired. I would suggest that you get the system properly diagnosed so that you spend your money wisely.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

not unless you tell them about the hard shifting, though it does depend on the person doing the work.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Thanks Guys.

Looks like I have a decision to make. The car is 15 years old, apart from this gear problem, because of the Quad 4, I'm starting to get that coolant in the engine symptom, so I may just abondon it for a while and take a decision right before winter.

Thanks again...

Dan

90 Grand Am SE Quad-4 HO 5spd 89 Chevy Corvette coupe 5.7 TPI Auto Blk on Blk

Reply to
Black Bomb