harmonic balancer retainer bolt removal

i have a 92 buick skylark i just bought for dirt cheap because it is not running right and i noticed that the oil pressure gauge is going all the way up when just sitting at idle and runs very rough and stalls out
sometimes. there is a ticking noise at front of engine by belts so i looked it up and found that the oil pump is most likely shot.the starter is off, the oil pan is off, the surpintine belt is off and am having a hell of a time getting the bolt out of balancer the engine keeps turning and then when i was able to jam it still for a second the thing will not budge. is there someone who can help me with this problem i really like this car and want it top notch there is no rust and well it a nice car. thanks in advance nitemare75 this message is also in auto general so i hope i don't get in trouble it said not to post more than once but i didn't see the gm place at first this is my first time doing this. nitemare75
When I removed the harmonic balancer from my daughter's '92 Grand Am the use of a Proto 24", half-inch drive breaker bar was the only thing that worked for me. That bolt is really tight.

hey silversurfer, will a 18inch1/2 drive work or is the 24inch better? also how do i keep the motor from turning while attempting to remove bolt?
If you have the muscle the 18" breaker bar will do the job. However, a nice little cheater made from a piece of pipe you might have lying around will make it much easier to twist. Just don't tell Craftsman that you abused their tools like that.
My memory is letting me down on the exact method used to keep the crankshaft from turning, but it seems to me that I took the starter out and used a couple of loops of something like a coat hanger through an existing hole in the flywheel and the opening for the starter in the block to "tie" the two together. Worked OK even if it was a pure shadetree technique. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do when there is no one to help, or you don't have the professional tools and facilities for the job.
Caution: be ready to catch yourself in case the tool or the blocking method should fail while you are twisting.

I have an method that has worked for me in the past, but it could be considered a little dangerous. I just put my Craftsman 1/2" drive on the bolt head and backed the handle up so that it would hit a frame member. After that, with no one near the socket wrench, you just hit the starter and let it do the work. You have to figure out which way the starter will turn and which way will loosen the bolt to do this properly.
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 11:06:18 -0400, "Silver Surfer"

Wow! Now that's what I call being creative. Live better electrically?

I have also heard of people undoing similar dangerous stuff to rotate the engine forward on some FWD vehicles.

nitemare75 wrote:

Normal right hand thread. Use an air impact running over 100 psi. 120 psi is better. Or borrow a 3/4" air impact. It will come off but it takes some doing.
thank's for the help guys. i took a large 1/2 inch ratchet and jammed it agianst the lower a-arm and kicked the starter a few times and that did it. now i have to find the puller to get balancer off. there seems to be a specific one for only the 3.3 and 3.8 v/6's. thanks again.

Buy an electric impact gun.
Ted