Head Gasket ??....antifreeze???....92 Chevy Cavalier

Hey guys its me again. Brian with the 92 Chevy Cavalier 48000 miles. Recently fixed Brake problems and other stuff.
I've been smelling antifrezze lately but I could not find a leak until
today. I just found a small puddle on the front of the engine a little to the left of the thermostat. However it does not look like its coming from the Thermostat......what should I be looking for Is this the Head Gasket leaking...or Is it something else....
I was going to replace the Raditor hoses soon just cause their old but now Im going to wait so i can do everthing at once.
When I first got the car going I checked the Raditor fluid and I had to wash off the rad. cap it had a greenish sludge around the spring of the cap.
So far The only thing I have planned is to replace the hoses, replace the thermostat even though its working good...but its a cheap part and I'd like to flush the entire raditor and refill it up.
So what should I look for here guys...............
I could send pics of the approx. puddle to anyone interested
thanks
Brian
You could check your water pump shaft seal for leakage but if those are the original hoses, they could be the culprit, too. If you go to Auto Zone, Advance Auto or any good automotive store, they can probably do a system pressure check for you to help locate the leak. Also, check the coolant recovery tank for leaks, they have a habit of cracking with age.
Im starting to think its the Heas Gasket after talking to a friend/part time mechanic.
I've looked over the Haynes manual about replacing the Head gasket............I think I could do it but its going to be very time consuming.
What about BARS LEAK.or something like that anyone know of anything special to seal up a gasket?
Brian

doing a teardown, do a compression test on the engine to see if the head gasket is really blown. Cadillac uses pellets in their cooling systems to prevent gasket leaks and I think that Bars Leak makes the pellets. I've heard that you can buy two different versions of this sealer (powdered or pellets) at NAPA and some other auto stores but I've never tried it myself.