Head gasket as well '02 Malibu 3100 Engine

I recently brought my '02 Malibu 3100 Engine with 52000 miles into the shop for a bad antifreeze leak. I thought it was the intake manifold gasket. I had the leak as well as brown
sludge on the Antifreeze Bottle cap. The original Job for the Manifold gasket was priced at around $500. Now its a $1200 job because of the head gasket as well. Is there a way to get some of that money back form GM? Does someone have a phone Number in the greater united states that I could beg/bargain with?
Thanks
Larry
Go to dexcoolsettlement.com

Excellent. Has anyone gotten any money back so far?
Larry

I have 2 claims in process, this is supposedly still an open issue, check the website, plenty of info and the forms.

It seems that the Dexcool Class action isnt paying much for 6th year and 7th year repairs. $100 and $50 respectively. I need a better avenue to get back at least part of my $1200. Repair Bill.
Larry

DIY... That is about the only answer.

Not to mention that $1200 was about twice the going dealer rate nationwide. That was a crazy price to pay. Hopefully the OP neglected to mention that the $1200 was for multiple cars.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Here in Ontario, when my sister's 2001 Montana's gasket went last year (well over 200,000 KM's), every GM dealership I contacted wanted between $2000 and $2700. We eventually had it done at an independent (but trusted) shop for $1100.

Dont doubt it at all. A good part of that expense is labor, etc. although dealership markup on parts is usually very high.
If you buy your own plenum and gaskets, from FLAPS like NAPA, and do it yourself, you should be able to get by for maybe US$300-400, I would estimate.
Larry P wrote:

Darn, those things are still failing in 2002 model year vehicles? Did GM EVER fix that nasty and long running problem?