HEADLIGHT PROBLEM

I have a '93 Cavalier. Both headlights use to work just fine untill last night. Now when I turn the switch to power the headlights only the running lights turn on. When I hit the high beams they will turn
on as I am putting tension on the stick but once it engages on they don't work either. Both turn signals work fine. Anyone ran into this problem before?
Also, my parking brake light flashes on and off randomly. I checked fluid in the master cylinder, but it is at the correct level. I'll take a look for the switch and see if that is the problem.
Thanks Zach
A lot of times when things like that go wonky it is usually the signal switch in the column.

Zach wrote:

Check for power TO the bulbs at the low beam connectors with a meter or even a test light, headlight switch on. If there's power, it's the bulbs. If no power, it's likely to be the multifunction switch.
The brake light could be several things. Better take that part to a mechanic.
Zach wrote:

burned out. The situation seems to happen exclusively with cars that have headlamp-based daytime running lamps (DRLs). They each burn out one-at-a-time over the summer when lit during the day and when one may not drive for months at night (when one would be more likely to notice one being out). Unless a cop happens to notice one is out and writes a ticket (I've known several people that has happened to as well), the driver may never notice. Once both go out, a cop won't know they're not functioning. The driver may not notice both have burned out either until the fall of the year comes along and the days get shorter and one actually *needs* the headlamps for something useful...like lighting the road at night.
I'll wager they're both burned out. Post back to the NG when you determine what the problem is...curious.

Note though, that he does have lights while he is holding on the stalk. Most likely a switch problem in the column.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net