HEADLIGHT PROBLEM

I have a '93 Cavalier. Both headlights use to work just fine untill last night. Now when I turn the switch to power the headlights only the running lights turn on. When I hit the high beams they will turn on as I am putting tension on the stick but once it engages on they don't work either. Both turn signals work fine. Anyone ran into this problem before?

Also, my parking brake light flashes on and off randomly. I checked fluid in the master cylinder, but it is at the correct level. I'll take a look for the switch and see if that is the problem.

Thanks Zach

Reply to
Zach

Check for power TO the bulbs at the low beam connectors with a meter or even a test light, headlight switch on. If there's power, it's the bulbs. If no power, it's likely to be the multifunction switch.

The brake light could be several things. Better take that part to a mechanic.

Reply to
Sharon K. Cooke

I've known several people that didn't realize when both headlamps were burned out. The situation seems to happen exclusively with cars that have headlamp-based daytime running lamps (DRLs). They each burn out one-at-a-time over the summer when lit during the day and when one may not drive for months at night (when one would be more likely to notice one being out). Unless a cop happens to notice one is out and writes a ticket (I've known several people that has happened to as well), the driver may never notice. Once both go out, a cop won't know they're not functioning. The driver may not notice both have burned out either until the fall of the year comes along and the days get shorter and one actually *needs* the headlamps for something useful...like lighting the road at night.

I'll wager they're both burned out. Post back to the NG when you determine what the problem is...curious.

Reply to
jcr

Note though, that he does have lights while he is holding on the stalk. Most likely a switch problem in the column.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I took a better look into it and it was the switch. Really is an expensive and tough repair for how old the car is. It has pretty high mileage. I bypassed it and just put in a toggle switch. Good enough to get me around. Thanks for your post though.

Reply to
Zach