Heat, A/C, Vent fan switch question

2000 Impala
The fan switch / control has 6 positions ---- Off, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5
It only works on 4 and 5.......
My friends 2001 owners manual states there is just ONE fuse controlling
it --- is it the same for my 2000 model, and should I assume that I need a new switch ???
Thanks in advance : ) Kevin
K. G. wrote in alt.autos.gm

Most likely the resistor bank. The switch feeds through a resistor bank going to the motor. And that is usually what goes out. It is usually easy to replace, but may be hard to find. Often times it is located in the engine compartment on top of the heater or fan housing. For the specifics, go to a library, bookstore or auto shop and browse the manual for your car. Or the easy way would be to go to the Autozone web site http://www1.autozone.com and click on Repair Info, then follow the links through Component Locations (on Left hand side) to the car and component of your choice.
--
Dick #1349
Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.