Heater Up & Quit!

Pulled out of the Shell station tonight and the heater quit working. Turn the switch, slide levers and nothing happens.

Well it was bound to happen one day.

Supposed to be 9 degress on Friday night.

harryface

91 Bonneville 310,800 miles 05 Park Avenue 64,011 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

Not a good time to lose the heater. Some of those units have vacuum modules that control the forced air path. If those stick or go bad, you are out of business. Also the HVAC control module can be a weak spot. Both are pretty expensive.

Reply to
HLS

Harry! Long time no hear. How are you doing?

I live outside of Portland, OR and the coldest that I have seen is 15 degrees but that is rare around here. A typical winter is right around 40 degrees with gray clouds from horizon to horizon, fog and a light rain with no sun, blue skies or stars for weeks and months almost continually.The humidity is high an it makes it seem colder. I think that I like better it when it gets below freezing here. That way I can at least see blue skies and sunshine and the humidity is not sucking the heat away from your body.

As I recall you live near Chicago. Is it windy when it gets that cold?

I assume that you are talking about your new car?

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+newsgroups

Reply to
Shep

Which car Harry? Is it the blower motor not running? Or lack of hot water in the core? Or hot air not coming out of the hot air holes?

Reply to
Paul

One would imagine a person would mention which car it is. It was the Bonneville.

Looks like its the blower resistor this time. The blower and the resistor are original.

All is good again.

harryface

91 Bonneville 310,814 05 Park Avenue 64,011
Reply to
Harry Face

If it's the blower resistor, the motor should run on high.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

\Beg pardon? On mine, the blower resistors go in series with the motor, and if one goes out (open) the fan shuts down. If resistors short (which happens but only seldomly) then blower speed would be on high

Reply to
HLS

Now I'm wondering if I had a bad connection and just unplugging and re-plugging in the wires made it run again I switched the resistors at night, under bad lighting conditions and I didn't examine it, too cold & tired by that time. Looking at the old resistor today there were no breaks in the wire coils.

As a test I run jumper wires from the battery to the blower motor and it run steadily.

At least its working. I'll get to use the defroster tomorrow in the Ice blizzard with 3 inches of snow forecasted for Chicago.

harryface

91 Bonneville 310,832 05 Park Avenue 64,011
Reply to
Harry Face

High speed is run handled by a bypass relay due to high motor current draw. It is more or less a direct run from the battery to the motor through a fusible link.

Reply to
Paul