Heavy Towing?

I'm hoping to get a race car next year, which means I'll likely need a tow vehicle capable of towing 4000+ pounds. This limits my options to a fullsize truck or van or ????

Can the old Caprice tow this much? How about any version of the S-Series? Are there any other GM products from the last 10-15 years that can tow this much? (Class III hitch I believe.)

I'm not really keen on buying a fullsize truck - 90% of the driving I do it would rank as total overkill. I also don't really want a "beater" truck to tow with - it's to tow my broken racecar, not a reason to stay home from the races.

Somehow I suspect my S-Jimmy 2.8 won't do so well with a 4500 pound load on the back. :)

Ray

Reply to
ray

A 94-96 Caprice, Roadmaster, or Fleetwood can tow 7000 lbs if properly equipped. I think the 4.3 S trucks can tow 5000, so that's an option too.

Reply to
Cheezeypants

Reply to
Slicknick

'94~'96 Rear whell drive GM cars, Caprice, Roadmaster, Deville with the 350 engine and the correct towing pkg. However, watch out for the 4L60E tranny, needs max. cooling. Of course, there's always the Chevy/GM trucks with the trailer towing pkgs. Better to have the 4L80E tranny in the trucks, if that's the way you want to go. Full size GM vans would work also, with the correct engine/tranny/towing pkg.

Reply to
noyap

Good to hear. I'd prefer a 94 Caprice wagon to a truck. Cheaper too. I'm thinking about an ex-cop car now. I guess I'm just not a truck guy. :)

Ray

Reply to
ray