Help: 96 Grand Am loose steering wheel

The following describes the problem using the terminology for the part names from a GM technical manual.
I partially disassembled the steering column to investigate what was causing
the sloppy feel to the steering wheel. The slop is coming from the pivot pins. The housing and bearing assembly can be rocked back and forth by grabbing and shaking the upper shaft assembly. The jacket support assembly doesn't move at all. Also, the pivot pins have been "peened" into position which is going to make it more difficult to extract them (without grinding) using the recommended tool.
three questions:
1. Was the peening done at the factory? 2. Is wobbling at the pivot pins a typical problem for this car? 3. Does anyone know what I am talking about?
Bill snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address
I doubt the peening was done from factory, although I doubt that that will make the pins harder to come out...you do need the little pin puller to remove them.. anything else is likely to screw up and break in the pins... I thing once you get the pivot pins out you will see that the inside pivot bore is broken, or the adjustment pin is slid out making the pivots seem loose.. you gotta go ahead and get the puller,pull the pins and see whats there...... Bobo

Bobo,
Thanks for the response. What is the adjustment pin?
Bill

remove all "f"'s from address