Help!!! Beretta has a service engine soon only on deceleration.

I have a 95 Beretta Z26 with a 3.1 sfi engine it has 107,000 miles on it and now has a service engine soon light that comes on only when deceleration on the highway also the cruise control is not functioning
I don't know if this relates to the first problem or not. The car has the obd1 computer I believe, but the connector is not compatible with the paper clip trick. This problem has vexed me for several weeks now and I don't have the cash to buy a expensive scantool at the moment I have replace the o2 sensor as well. Any insite into this will help. Thanks, in advance.
Stan
You're going to need to get the codes read in order to do any real diagnosis. I believe AutoZone in the US will read codes for you for free..
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Yes, I have tried autozone, but the one near me has a obd I reader that won't read my computer. It seems the 95-96 years had a interim computer configuration of a obd II computer with a OBD I connector or some such nonsense and so needs a reader like the ones from autoXray that can handle the weird configuration. Thanks, for the suggestion however.

Maybe try a different auto parts store or a mechanics shop. Worst comes to worst you could take it to the local GM dealer to get the codes read but they will probably charge you a minimum hour labor.
Dennis Smith
Bobo Says......... I am willing to bet that the code you are getting is probably related to the egr system... those codes(there are 3) set on decell... simply put the pcm monitors itself when it turns on the egr at decell.. the pcm then looks for a corresponding change in the vacuum reading from the map sensor.when it is incorrect the code sets.. there is a passage from the egr valve to the intake that comes out right behind the throttle plate.. it is very prone to getting clogged with carbon.. the only way I have been able to effectively clean it is to take the throttle body off and scrape the carbon out of the hole.. I have heard of things like an old speedo cable in a drill pushed down the hole at the egr end but I have seen them come back.. its real hard to get it all the way to the throttle body end and clean it out there...

Thanks, for all the suggestions everyone. I will clean the EGR passage and hopefully that fixes it. Again, many thanks.
Stan