HELP....Chev Lumina dies out, nothing on scope

Hi all. I have a 93 Chev Lumina (car) that stalls out. It acts as if the a spark plug is grounding out and sems to lose spark. After it dies or has been sitting for a while, it it may or may not start. 10 minutes later, it'll start and run great for a few weeks. There is no rhyme or reason to when it dies, and I cannot duplicate the problem... that's why this is so frustrating. I 've even towed it to my mechaninc twice, after I have looked for broken wires,etc, only to have it start when it gets there.

I have changed all of the spark plugs and wires. When it does stall or won't start, I crawl underneath and wiggle, move, twist, and swear at /on every wiring harness that I can find...I can't find one that allows the car to start. Then after a while (5 minutes and up) and SEVERAL turns of the ingnition key, it'll start and runs great until next time.

So, my question is, is there and inherant problem with the lumina's that I may be experiencing, such as an ignition switch, ot fauly connector? Any thoughts?

At this point, I feel that I'm going to have to start buying and replacing parts. I'd like to narrow it down a bit first.

I would greatly appreciate any feed back.

thanks

Reply to
Ken Yuzik
93 Chev Lumina

Stalls out. After sitting 5-10 minutes it starts runs great. Towed it to a mechanic, only to have it start when it got there. If I have to start buying and replacing parts. I'd like to narrow it down a bit first. Any thoughts? ______________________________________________________

This sometimes occurs if a fuel filter is becoming clogged, or floating materials in the fuel tank temporarily clog the pickup tube.

But the highest probability by far is an intermittent failure of the ignition module. Unfortunately, a test of such a module usually reveals no flaws unless you can reproduce the failing condition (usually heat accumulation). As a replace-it-til-it-works DIYer, a $20-$45 shot at an ignition module would be my first bet.

Good Luck.

Wendy & John. ________________________________________________________

Reply to
Wendy & John

How many times has it "failed" Is it more likely to fail with a low tank of gas on a hot day ? (fuel pump)

or is it more likely to fail idling with fresh cool gas in the tank but a hot underhood situation (ignition coil pack).

Just two thoughts. Also some mechanics will hook a computer up for you to drive around till it fails. Depends upon the shop though.

Reply to
Full_Name

"Wendy John1" wrote: > "Ken Yuzik" wrote: > > 93 Chev Lumina > > Stalls out. After sitting 5-10 minutes it starts runs > great. > Towed it to a mechanic, only to have it start when it got > there. > If I have to start buying and replacing parts. I?d like to > narrow > it down a bit first. > Any thoughts? > ______________________________________________________ > > This sometimes occurs if a fuel filter is becoming clogged, or > floating > materials in the fuel tank temporarily clog the pickup tube. > > But the highest probability by far is an intermittent failure > of the > ignition module. Unfortunately, a test of such a module > usually > reveals no flaws unless you can reproduce the failing > condition > (usually heat accumulation). As a replace-it-til-it-works > DIYer, > a $20-$45 shot at an ignition module would be my first > bet. > > Good Luck. > > Wendy & John. > ________________________________________________________

Engine size?

Have you verified that you have no spark when it stalls and won?t restart or are you just guessing?

Reply to
mdeee

That's what I thought, I've gone through several fuel pumps/filters on other vehicle. That's the first thing that I changed.

As far as when it stalls, absolutely no rhyme or reason. Hot, cold, after driving for hours, after 3 minutes, full tank, empty tank (it's wifes car, its there more times than not), left turn right turn, straight way, up hill down hill...I feel like Dr Sues :-)

I think I'll start with the ignition mod. That's come up quite frequently in other newsgroups. Has anyonehad trouble with the Crank position sensor, that one is frequently posted as well. I have heard that they die, it's dead. No intermitance. Any thoughts?? thanks Ken

Reply to
Ken Yuzik