Help I screwed up and added

Power steering fluid to my automatic transmission this morning, did I really screw things up, or is it ok and things are not as bad as it seems?
What happened was I went into the local N.A.P.A. Store and said I
wanted this this this and this, I got this this and that he got that those and this, one of them being the transmission fluid which ended up being power steering fluid GRRRRR!.
My fault I know because I never checked the damn thing in the store, when I took it out of the bag nor before I added it into the car.
So what's the verdict out there, will it be ok, or should I go out and have my transmission flushed/out/filters changed right away? BTW, it's a 1994 Chevy caprice classic with a 350 engine in it that I just decided that I'm never going to sell, that I'm going to keep forever, make an antique out of it eventually, fix it up rebuild the engine when it needs it lada lada lada. It's a beautiful car, drives great and I love her!!!
What do you think, it's got that maroonish/redish interior go with midnight black for a color on it? It's white right now and I never did like the white. My son wants me to paint her fire engine red, but I said it would be too much red?
I feel like I just gave her, Herpes or something, DAMN!
Thanks in advance
Rob

How much did you add before you noticed?
Probably time for a flush and fill anyways.
Steve
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:28:16 GMT, "Steve Mackie"

12 0unces is what I added, the entire bottle. I didn't even notice or think of it until later when I was rubbing it down and then it dawned on me what the bottle said. DOH!
What does power steering fluid do to an automatic transmission once you added it?
Rob.
12 oz is nothin compared with the amount of tranny fluid in your vehicle. It should be completely diluted .

If it was a problem at all in the first place.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

SoSad wrote:

Probably nothing as they are very similar, and AFAIK your particular transmission isn't all that finicky about what you feed it. However you might as well drop the pan and change the fluid and filter; it's good PM and then you won't have to worry about it any more.
nate
I can't comment with 100% sure about on PS in the AT, but I know that most car manufacturers reccomend using the auto trans fluid in the power steering. My sense is to get a bottle of transmission fluid, top off the steering, and call it a day.
A vehicle transmission is typically 6 quarts, so 12 ounces of similar fluid isn't hurting anything. Now, I can think of a few fluids that would worry me, but PS fluid is OK.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

I can see that being a problem. There are a few others which would be a real mess, but I don't want to give people ideas.
PS fluid is made for larger tubing (1/4 or so) and is a lot heavier. I can well imagine it clogging the narrow brake lines.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Baloney...... PS fluid is a petroleum based hydraulic oil. Brake fluid is ethylene glycol based (same as anti-freeze) and the two don't mix. The eventual result would be a system ruining jell.
Dave
http://www.xs11.com/tips/maintenance/maint1.shtml
Here is an interesting web page on brake fluids. Thanks for the head up on mixing brake and PS fluids.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

That's different, brake fluid and PS fluid are very different, however PS fluid isn't that different from Dexron...
nate
Tim & Linda wrote:

I don't like ATF in the power steering, sure, it's cheaper, but I've seen too many cars where the steering box pitman shaft seal leaks after adding ATF. As for the transmission, PS fluid is hydraulic fluid, so is trans fluid, so I don't see it as an issue.

Brake fluids, commonly, are water soluble polyols. Tranny fluids and power steering fluids are oil soluble...
Now, when you mix water and oil intimately, you get.....mayonnaise... You should have sued the bastards

The only thing that I can think of at this time is that the power steering fuild may dilute the distict gripping properties of the transmission fluid. Better to be safe than sorry, change out the fluid.

I think I agree with RSC. A tranny is a very costly repair. If there is so darn much difference between Chrysler fluid, Dexron, and the like, then I dont see power steering fluid as being welcome in my tranny.