Help: Intermittent Start Problem

I have a strange problem with my 1998 Chevy Malibu. On two occassions (2 weeks apart), it has failed to start although the engine cranks.

The first time it eventually started after sitting for a few minutes. Then it ran fine without any problems for two weeks. Last Thursday when I left work, it again refused to start. I had it towed to a service station. When I called the next morning, they said it started right up. They ran diagnostics and found nothing wrong.

I've owned this car for 6 years and have never had starting problems (and I'm not doing anything different now).

It's tough to troubleshoot the problem when it's not there, but I'm concerned about getting stranded some day when it refuses to start.

Any suggestions on what to check?

Thanks, Art Harris

Reply to
Arthur Harris

When in doubt, change the fuel filter, a new filter is cheap, needs to be done anyway, might / might not fix problems. I know of no OBD for plugged filter.

Reply to
451CTDS

Do you hear the fuel pump ran in your fuel tank for 2 seconds when you turn on the igition? If it doesnt start, give the fuel tank a rap with a soft mallet, then try to start. If it does, your pump is going. I had the same trouble with my s-10 Blazer. Andy

Reply to
Andy & Carol

Reply to
Steve

Anti theft light on? Passlock sensor in the ignition switch is a common problem. It will crank but not fire. I've replaced it in both the Malibu's I maintain. It has a 10 min. reset between try's.

Reply to
Repairman

BINGO! That's it! I have noticed the Theft Alarm a few times in the past, but it didn't affect starting. But at least two of the three times it wouldn't start, I recall seeing the "Theft" light.

Are you saying that if I wait 10 minutes it will start?

My car is in the shop right now, I'm going to give them a call and pass this on. Thank you Soooo Much!

Art Harris

Reply to
Arthur Harris