Help Needed - where do I go next?

I have a 1986 chevy caprice wagon, with a 305 in it that I got a while back - having problems with it dieseling - gets poor gas mileage - and the idle it way to high on it.
I have adjusted the idle screw on the carb, it is all the way out - so the idle should not be high - I have check the EGR valve - that is not working right - so going to replace that - not sure what all the will do.
Is thier something else that I should be looking at here?
Thanks,
Scott
Perhaps you are not setting the idle properly? The idle must be adjusted using the electric idle stop, not the mechanical idle stop. When one turns off the key the throttle plate should then drop down the fully close position.
mike hunt
snipped-for-privacy@efn.org wrote:

OK - the idle is better - still a little high - but it is low as I can get it - I have searched and searched, spray carb. cleaner around, and can't find any vacume leak - but still have that diseling, and rough idle.
Here is what I am thinking at this point - the carberator is messing things up.
Solutoin - buy non-electronic carb, replace distributer with one that has a mechanical vacume advance -get rid of the computer and go back to something nice and simple.