HELP...Olds Cutlass w/ 3.1L making "noisy lifter" sound...

Hey,

Got a problem with my 3.1L 1998 Cutlass. When cranked stone cold makes a noisy lifter sound. The sound remains forever after the initial stone cold crank. Though after shutting it down AFTER the engine has been warmed to operating tempertures and then allowed to sit for more than ten minutes and then re-cranked the sound is gone completely.

My first guess is that their is a faulty lifter with some crap in the oiling hole and won't fill when oil is stone cold. For some strange reason the lifter never completely fills after the oil is very warm after the initial stone cold crank. Though when the engine is allowed to sit for awhile with hot oil in the engine it fills up just fine. What is the experts take? Please help.

Also, I've already pulled the manifolds and valve covers off. I need help in identifing the "bad" lifter. I know, I know...should have pulled only the covers off and fired up the engine and used a stethiscope to isolate the lifter, but I couldn't get both covers off with out taking everthing off the top of the motor...so a little late for that. HELP!

Stu

Reply to
Will

Piston slap, Piston slap, Piston slap

Reply to
noname

Problem with that idea is that the engine still ticks long after it is warm and the piston should have long ago expanded into place. It started making that sound abruptly too. Not like it grew over time. One second it wasn't making any noise. Next second it was making noise. Opinions/advice greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Will

Don't be too quick to jump on the 'piston slap' bandwagon. IIRC this problem began to get serious with late 1999 model 3.1's. He's got a

1998 so maybe some other cause??

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts

The latest piston slap problem started in 1999, but I've heard others say it started as early as 1995.

Reply to
Brad Clarke

"Al Haunts" wrote

There are bulletins referring to piston "noise" that address vehicles as far back as 94 when it comes to the 3100/3400 engines. Back then, they deemed the noise to be coming from the piston pin, and now it's become a piston "slap" issue. The fix for the 94-99 was replacing the piston and pin assembly due to "excessive" clearance between the piston and pin, and the fix for the 2000 and up was a changeup piston design with 'polymer' coated pistons.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

No it wasn't a recall., just an all too common problem with the

1999-2002 (2003?) 3.1L.

If your vehicle is under warranty, and the slapping lasts for more than

4 1/2 minutes, you'll get new pistons or possibly a new engine, depending on how much damage has been done.

If it's out of warranty and you decide to get the work done, you get a big bill :)

Brad

Reply to
Brad Clarke

responding to

tony burchard wrote:> stuartjordan wrote:>

Reply to
tony burchard

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

> , tony burchard wrote:>>> stuartjordan wrote: Will posted on September 10, 2003, 1:21 pm rate this thread

Hopefully it's fixed by now. :)

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

>> , tony burchard wrote:>>>> stuartjordan wrote:>

These groups are so dead you have to take what you can get :-)

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Den s=F6ndagen den 9:e december 2012 kl. 01:36:21 UTC skrev Ashton Crusher:

Well.....

These groups are mostly discussing dead issues and dead companies that are = more or less living a zombie existance.

It is probably for a hope of seeing some revival that we do continue to loo= k in once in a while.

I would love to see some real change into good technology and real progress= happening.

We are still mostly seeing more of same old same old and mostly related to = inferior management and stupid corrupt whatever....

Reply to
gosinn