Help- Rear Spark Plug Boots on GM 3.1L

Help !!!! . how to remove the rear spark plug boots on a 1990 Olds Silhouette APV 3.1L engine.
It has more space than a Chevy Lumina APV, but I still can't get them
out by hand and can't manipulate anything to grab them.
the spark plug boots are surrounded by a metal shield, leaving only the tops of the plug wires accessible. Is this shield supposed to be removable, or is it a permanent guide to assist in positioning the new plugs.
#2..... The plug wires are due for replacement.... so I don't care if the old ones make it out in one piece or not. Will it help any if I pull on the wire and yank them off the plug and out of the boot, and then try to remove the boots????
Can't get at them from under the car, although I can see them clearly (definitely a shield around the boot, only the very top is accessible.
I'm thinking of designing a strap (with pull handle) that will slip around the next set of boots, giving me a handle to yank on. Possibly using a firm large fiber or rubber washer, (plumbing supply section of home depot), with holes drilled for a wire (???), or tie wrap handle.
This has gone beyond fun and games into frustration....Any help would be appreciated !!!
Disconnected the dogbone... and yanked the heck out of the engine....it didn't budge an inch..... me ??? I'm exhausted....
What am I missing here???

Peter <> wrote:

Remove the other dog-bone if there's two. ;-) Put the transmission in neutral. Use a ratchet strap or get the special tool (Thexton, Lisle) to mechanically pull the engine forward.
Thanks all !!!
I did get the engine to rotate, ...a lot easier with the transaxle in neutral. Still a knuckle busting job probably due to the fact that the plugs might never have been changed in 13 years (it's a 1990).
But it's the first time, I've ever been able to change the rear plugs on a 3.1L by myself......yippee......to me it's a major accomplishment....
Thanks again for your help !!!
On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 18:37:55 -0400, Peter wrote:

Peter <> wrote:

The OE sparkplugs would have a paint dot on the end of the terminal. (usually green)