help start an OLDS '90 88

My 1990 OLDS 88 won't start, after the cold weather we've had the last couple weeks. After I do get it started, I'm gonna be doing work, so if your interested in the '90 88, stay tuned!

Anyway, it turns over alright, and tries to catch a little, but not too much. It mostly just cranks over. I removed the air intake hose and sprayed some starting fluid in there, through the screen. The next thing I'll try is removing the screen, then spraying. I'm hoping the screen is threaded on there, and will unscrew. Two questions...does starting fluid evaporate, so I can reapply a couple hours later without over doing it? And does dry gas remain effective in the gas tank, or does it also evaporate over a couple days and become ineffective?

The other idea I had was to replace the distributor cap. If the cap's NG, then the plugs don't get the spark they need. Any way of telling if the cap is bad, or troubleshooting other parts?

Thanks for the thoughts. It's a great car. Nice smooth ride with enough punch. I'd like to keep it. Later on, there's some body work to be done, maybe a fuel filter, and a rough idle to fix.

Jeff--Maine

Reply to
jdringrose

Shep