Help unlock my GM radio

Page 1 of 2  
I cleaned my battery terminals and now I have LOC on the display. I got codes 942 955 using the 2/3 and AM/FM. We have a 99 Olds Alero. Can someone help with our code?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 14 Feb 2004 15:39:20 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Soapm) wrote:

This sounds like a job for.... OOOOOOONNNSSTTAARRRRRR ;o)
<rj>
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Soapm" wrote

0682
Ian
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Soapm) wrote in message

Thanks shiden_Kai, I appreciate your help.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
| I cleaned my battery terminals and now I have LOC on the display. I got | codes 942 955 using the 2/3 and AM/FM. We have a 99 Olds Alero. Can someone | help with our code?
Curious why GM locks their radios. Surely the factory radios aren't stolen that often, are they?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
James wrote:

They aren't often stolen because they have a Security Lock feature. The thief can't sell it to the fence with it locked. Therefore, they don't go to the trouble of stealing it in the first place.
---Bob Gross---
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
| James wrote: | >Curious why GM locks their radios. Surely the factory radios aren't stolen | >that often, are they? | | They aren't often stolen because they have a Security Lock feature. The thief | can't sell it to the fence with it locked. Therefore, they don't go to the | trouble of stealing it in the first place. | | ---Bob Gross---
The context of my statement/question was relevant to the time before the locks were added to them. Were the factory radios stolen often before this security feature was added? Insurance statistics I've seen say no...very rare.
My guess is that the unlock algorithm "key" has been hacked and readily available to thieves, just like software keys have been. So for the professional fence, it makes little difference if it has a software lock on it or not, I'd bet. So, the only real inconvenience is likely to the customer. Joy! :-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:08:03 -0500, "James C. Reeves"

I'm with you, brother!
I'm inclined to think it's yet another lame attempt at getting customers back into the dealership for a revenue generating visit each time they disconnect the battery.
Very sad and disconcerting, IMHO.
Why is it that the simple grab for cash always seems to outweigh good, responsible customer service?
Rick
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote: | | >My guess is that the unlock algorithm "key" has been hacked and readily | >available to thieves, just like software keys have been. So for the | >professional fence, it makes little difference if it has a software lock on it | >or not, I'd bet. So, the only real inconvenience is likely to the customer. | >Joy! :-) | | I'm with you, brother! | | I'm inclined to think it's yet another lame attempt at getting | customers back into the dealership for a revenue generating visit each | time they disconnect the battery. | | Very sad and disconcerting, IMHO.
If true, it's very short-sighted on GM's part...one would hope their management is smarter than that.
...but assuming that isn't the real reason (I don't think it is), the perception obviously exists for some that it is (grab for cash)...which isn't very good for long term business. But then GM isn't very good a assessing how their actions/decisions/"feaures" are intrepreted/accepted by the customer. OR, does it really save anything for the customer. They don't seem to do well (compared to their competitors) accepting (and valuing/using) customer feedback on things like this and adjusting accordingly.
| | Why is it that the simple grab for cash always seems to outweigh good, | responsible customer service? |
How much does the dealer charge customers to unlock the radio for them? Just curious. I've only owned one car with such a radio and I didn't keep it long enough to have gone through this exercise. I did read about it in the owner manual though and thought to myself..."uh..oh!" Hopefully it isn't much. If it's $50 or some such thing...5-10 trips to the dealer over the life of the car to have this unlock procedure done and the overall cost to the customer is essentially a new radio! How does that save the customer anything? The thief is not the guy on the street, it's now your car dealer...not good!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

on it for just such an eventuality. Is that out of the ordinary?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:15:19 GMT, D F Bonnett

Hmm.... This is news to me. If they issue you the code on a card as above, then I retract my previous statement.
I can't say for certain what they do, as my cars are both 1996's which don't have that feature on the radio.
Thanks for that info!
Rick
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The radios don't come locked from the factory, the only time the radio needs to be taken into the dealer to get unlocked is when somebody programmed a code into the radio and then forgot what it was.
When I needed a radio unlocked (because the guy I bought it from didn't know what the code was), the local Pontiac dealer did it for free. It probably just depends whether you're a regular customer and how hard-assed they are about it.
BTW, GM doesn't use this kind of radio lockout system anymore - the radios now connect into the vehicle data bus and when they power up, check the VIN of the vehicle against the VIN they're programmed for, and if it doesn't match they won't activate. Therefore it's not possible to lock oneself out of the radio by accident with that system.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from snipped-for-privacy@nospamshaw.ca
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:40:54 GMT, "Robert Hancock"

Many thanks for the clarification!
Rick
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
| [SNIP] | | BTW, GM doesn't use this kind of radio lockout system anymore - the radios | now connect into the vehicle data bus and when they power up, check the VIN | of the vehicle against the VIN they're programmed for, and if it doesn't | match they won't activate. Therefore it's not possible to lock oneself out | of the radio by accident with that system. |
That design makes a lot more sense...although I still find it hard to believe that thieves would go after factory radios, locked or not.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@cs.com says...

OEM price for a Am/Fm radio w/cd player for a 1998 Bonneville $742.80!!! (549.67 elsewhere)
I think any deterrence is a good deterrence! It keeps a theif from stealing my good radio to sell to someone with a bad radio (i hope). You cant just buy any aftermarket radio for GM cars anymore either and expect them to fit and work with the steering wheel controls. Even though we're pretty much stuck with them OEM radios they are pretty good these days anyhow. I think however that the main intent of all this is to drive OEM prices up.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The only reason an OEM radio is that expensive is because the Insurance companies have to pay for the replacements. The auto industry knows its a source of income. So they mark it up.

Your completely wrong. Steering wheel controls will still work if you purchase the correct adaptors. Just like the Bose integration is possible, or the On Star integration, or the CD changer connection. Installing an aftermarket stereo is completely possible if the consumer wants it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
says...

Yeah until you run into the following. Price caps on what they pay out or higher insurance premiums. Either way you are still paying in full if not now you will in time. The question should be why is it that a radio made in China or Mexico in the end cost us just as much to buy as if it were made here in the united states? I'm not willing to pay that for a radio so why do I want my insurance company to pay that only so they can turn around and charge me more.

Yeah if you purchase the correct adaptor and the correct radio and spend bunches and bunches of money. I wont sink more than $50 bucks in a radio to listen to the crap thats on them anymore. More than half the time my radios off. But like I stated before any deterrence to theft of these radios is needed but its all really designed to increase profits for GM because if you go aftermarket or OEM you will still be dishing out money for something that should cost next to nothing to begin with.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bon-ne-ville....

The manufacturing cost is only a part of what makes up its sales price. Things like Labor, Marketing, Distribution, and Value should be considered.
I agree that OEM radios have a very high mark up. I don't know if you understood why they do though.......OK....lets review..... Delphi builds a radio from GM under contract. Its a proprietary agreement between the two companies. Delphi builds the unit and will only sell it to GM. No one else. GM then can distribute this radio to several companies around the country. They then move them to the different dealerships and factories. Now.....You pay for insurance. In that policy it states that you will receive only Original parts. Not aftermarket? yes? well in an accident if your radio is damaged the Insurance company MUST purchase an OE radio from the dealer. The Dealer can (and does) mark it up, why??? Cause they can. Simple. The insurance company has no choice. WHY? Because they control the distribution. They control the contract for the radios construction.

See above.

My only point was.....it can be done.

Since I would bet you have no real clue how much it truly costs to R&D a new product, Market it, Build it, Distribute it, and Warranty it, I will disregard your comment about how much its worth.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
says...

Same can be said for every radio out there but yet GM is getting hammered by middlemen lining their pockets and we get burned.

My dad worked for gm/delphi, I know how much of a mark up they tack on. There are radios with much more R&D behind them, more stuff to them, and they still sell for hundreds less and they come out with new designs yearly, not after a decade of use. I will disreguard your argument that they are not making a ton of profit. There is no 700 dollars worth of research, developement, transportation, warranty work, or marketing in every radio they produce. If there was then a new Grand Am would cost you 70,000 dollars or more. It only cost them 100 bucks to build the radio and install it in a car but to get it to a parts counter it cost 700 bucks. Yeah right.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bon-ne-ville.....
Are you a wack job? Dont you read what I write?
I took each of you questions and answered them individually. Understand? You then take my different answers and apply them to your different questions. Stop doing that.
First.... You made the question about cost? Why is a Mexico/China radio the same price as a USA radio? I answered MARKUP. Just because its cheaper to build in Mexico has nothing to do with how much mark up there is. Get it??? The cost to build the radio is only ONE FACTOR in its final sales price.
Next....(you said)

Again....the cost of the radio is HIGH because they can force the Insurance company to pay that price. and GM isnt getting hammered, They are the ones making the profit.
(you said)

When......WHEN....did I say this? I have always said they ARE MAKING profit. Because they control the product, and they can charge whatever they want.

Again......Again.....you need to show that you have any idea of how much a radio costs to build. You say less then $100US. How do you know this? What are your facts.....not your guess, but some facts?? And AGAIN....the reason the radio has a HUGH MARKUP is what again? I have forgotten..........
Ohh and by the way........Im done with this....thanks for playing.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.