Help With Troubleshooting Starting Problem

Similararity happened 3 times to my dads 89 Pontiac 6000 equipped with the

2.8 engine. It turned out to be the spark control module all 3 times.

Good Luck Dan

Reply to
Black Bomb

I have an 87 Olds Cierra with a 2.8 engine with about 60k. I started out from home and it ran well for about two miles, when it started running rough and I stopped and it seemed to clear up and I went about a half mile further when it started running rough again and I turned around and started home. It got progressively worse and finally it died about a mile from home. It would not start. I towed it home and tested the spark by taking one of the leads off a spark plug and inserting a screwdriver blade into it and holding it about 1/4" from ground and it seemed to have a good spark. Right after that I was able to get it started, but it ran rough and died shortly after it started.

I can hear the fuel pump running in the gas tank when I turn the ignition key on and it goes off after running about 30 seconds. I suspect this problem may be fuel related since it has a spark and has started once. I think I need to check the fuel filter but I do not know whether it is near the gas tank in the rear of the car or near the engine. This model car is one of the first GM cars that did not use a carb but rather has fuel injection and an electronic ignition system.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Hedhunter

Reply to
Hed Hunter

Thanks Dan. I have not had much experience with GM electronic ignition modules but older model ford's used to leave me on the side of the road frequently with bad ig control modules. I will check the module out. Thanks again for your suggestion.

hed hunter

Fri, 5 Mar 2004 13:15:35 -0500, "Black Bomb" wrote:

Reply to
Hed Hunter