Here are 12 days worth of electric-vehicle myths

Page 2 of 2
Perhaps, but all of the current alternate ways to generate electricity will NEVER replace the current NEED for electricity let alone the amount needed
in the future.
At best they will reduce the increased amount needed in the future, currently generated by conventional methods. The ONLY thing that can even come close to reducing the current use of coal, gas and to some extent fuel oil, is nuclear power and that drives the global warming theorist and the environuts well..........NUTS
wrote:

in this time of high unemployment, over-reliance on foriegn oil and carbon emission causing climate-change investing in renewable energy, eg wind solar geothermal etc. makes good sense

you say that Mike, but you are making an assumption and providing an infinite varible; never say never- the current green infrastucture is inadequate, but given sufficent investment and development in technology, gains in efficiency in power generation and conservation as well as increasing the efficency of just building the infrastucture- brings the overall cost down; build enough of them and oil becomes redundant. The question is, when do you want to switch from oil to electricity ? You can expect your 2nd or 3rd generation volt or equivalent to cost a lot less than the 1st generation will now.
Do a search of the current electrical consumption TODAY, before we ever expand the use of electricity and you will discover that sun and wind power, at best, will only make up a small portion of the increased use to come.
If we covered half of the county with solar panels and covered the top of every mountain with wind mills you could not produce anything near what we currently use let alone replace what we use today.
Nuclear power is the ONLY thing that can provide the amount on new electrical generation needed or ever come close to REPLACING what we currently produce with coal alone.
As to pure electric vehicles they are cheaper to build than conventionally powered cars and much cheaper than hybrids. We just need to wait for the economies of scale to ramp up. GM another Luxury SUV model in the wings and five models on the drawing boards, including a full size truck
wrote:

you say that Mike, but you are making an assumption and providing an infinite varible; never say never- the current green infrastucture is inadequate, but given sufficent investment and development in technology, gains in efficiency in power generation and conservation as well as increasing the efficency of just building the infrastucture- brings the overall cost down; build enough of them and oil becomes redundant. The question is, when do you want to switch from oil to electricity ? You can expect your 2nd or 3rd generation volt or equivalent to cost a lot less than the 1st generation will now.
Mike Hunter wrote:

According to National Geographic Magazine, November 2009 issue:
Quoting Eicke Weber, director of the Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems: "The total power needs of the humans on Earth is approximately 16 terawatts" he said, "The sunshine of the solid part of the Earth is 120,000 terawatts."
According to Robert Hawsey, "Ten to 20 percent of the nation's peak electricity demand could be provided by solar energy by 2030."
The Southwest desert could light the entire U.S.
The potential for solar is far beyond what out needs will be 100 years from now. Right now, it is still costly and all the transmission network is not in place, but it can be done. The potential is there, we have to want to make it happen.
Perhaps but does the term "could be provided" have and meaning to you? Solar and wind power generated electricity does not produce the high voltage need to transmit electricity over great distances. More importantly they can not produce it 24/7, 365 days a year. Currently they produce power only 20% and 30% of the time respectively.
Can you imagine how the Environuts and NIMBY ninnies will react to building a whole new lower voltage transmission system all over the country?
To get an idea of what would happen if they tried just look at was IS happing where the power companies are trying to improve the CURRENT grid to comply with President Bush's Executive order that said improving the grid was NECESSARY for the national defense of our country. The order was issued SEVEN years ago and hardly a 100 miles of new construction has been built because of the Environuts and NIMBY ninnies.
As I said the ONLY clean save why of producing the power we need, via the current grid, over the next fifty years in Nuclear power.
As an aside my wife convinced me to install a soar hot water heating system at our home in Key West Fl to help save the planet. We still need the NG back up system and must maintain the battery system for when more than two people take a shower or the sun is not shining. The cost, over $30,000, more than I would have spend for BG over fifteen years and I'm 83 and she is 70, you do the math. ;)

I think carter had a plan for upgrading power generation and transmission that was subsequently abandoned when reagan got in. pointing fingers at the past does nothing to change the present.major technological change can occur in a single decade. look at pcs, cell phones, gps, internet,compact disks, digital cameras etc.
Mike Hunter wrote:

Sure, it means with a little effort, it can be made to work.

New technology Mike, allows the energy to be stored.

Not needed. You transmit at high voltage, just as is done today. Converting that energy to steam allows for generation the same way it is done in fossil and nuclear plants. They heat oil to something like 500 degrees and put it through a heat exchanger to make water into steam to run a turbine.

Not if we choose to do otherwise.

I don't know what you have, but for that much money, you can do wonders today. Don't compare the Model A with the Corvette.
That is NOT true! GM was not allowed to SELL the EV-1. GM was required to maintain ownership of the "experimental test vehicles," that could only be leased for the one year term of the test.
GM was required to destroy all EV-1s at the end of the test because they were build under an exception to all of the NHTSA and EPA regulations at the time.