Here's a new one

'95 Monte 3.4 DOHC for those who don't know.

Got in the car this morning, turned it over and it made a small 'pop' noise, started up, revved to 4,000rpm and stalled. Tried restarting it, it starts, but revs to 4,000rpm and stalls.

What's everyone's thought?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

My belief is the 'pop' was/is just the car back firing. I started it up again and it backfired, but the pop came from the engine bay. So, I'm thinking blown gasket of some sort. There is no coolant loss and there is no coolant in the oil. There is no MIL, but the engine doesn't run any longer than a few seconds so all the DTC tests likely have not finished running.

Next I'll check the timing and compression.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Reply to
Shep

Doubtful that it's a timing issue Steve, if this suddenly started. Doubtful also that it's a gasket problem of any sort. I wouldn't bother testing compression either. There - did I just screw up your entire plan? Sorry. If it had low compression, it'd still run. It'd run even if one cylinder had dropped completely out. The part where it runs up to 4K and then dies causes me to want to look at a TPS or similar sensor. I'm sure you've already covered all the basics such as making sure the throttle body is clean, etc.

Sorry - that's all that comes to mind immediately.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks Mike/Shep. It needed the intake manifold gaskets anyways so I figured now is a good a time as any. I already had the upper intake off when I read the message from Shep about the PCV, of course I wasn't paying attention when I yanked that out. Now it's half apart anyways, I'll be getting the gaskets and injector o-ring kit on Monday.

The TPS sensor crossed my mind. I still have all the old sensors off my old engine so once I get the new gaskets in I can replace whatever I like if the new gaskets don't solve it. At this point it doesn't look like the solution anyways. I didn't bother checking the compression, but I did a quick check on the timing, only takes a couple of minutes. The timing is fine.

I'll keep you updated.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Man I wish I was back in Ontario. The gasket kits aren't stock and they are

3-5 days away. Guess I'll throw the upper manifold back on and look at some other things while they are in transit.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Got 'er all figured out. Change the intake gaskets. As I was putting it back together it dawned on me what the original problem was: the brake booster vacuum line fell off the back of the upper intake manifold. Dummy. Anyway, all is good.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie