Here's what's wrong with GM

Post something to this board on how to fix something on a GM car and you are lucky to get a response, but post an article on why GM is failing and you get an endless number of replys. Everyone just wants to BS and no one figure out what makes these cars tick, if the opposite was true these cars would sell like crazy.

Reply to
ZoomZoom

This doesn't seem abnormal to me. I would guess that only a small percentage of the people that browse or post in this newsgroup has enough mechanical knowledge to answer anything more then the most basic questions. I've been working on vehicles for years, and there are lot's of questions on here that I don't bother with as I will probably have nothing that's "actually" useful to contribute.

As far as I can tell, this isn't technically a "gm tech" group.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Perhaps now they may go away now that GM earned million in the last quarter. Me thinks the rumors of GM demise, by the import intenders, are a bit premature LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

So be it? (translation of "amen").

Only the Lord/God/Jehovah can determine what shall be or not.

Maybe you meant "same here" or something similar.

Reply to
Jonny

How does 1M$ compare with the stockholders investment in dollar dividend return in a quarter?

Reply to
Jonny

GM Reports Improved Second-Quarter Financial Results

Reported net loss of $3.2 billion, or $5.62 per share

Straight from the GM website. They're in trouble. It's getting better, but still in trouble.

Reply to
William Dryden

There are two issues with how to fix a GM car. First, there are the ordinary problems which most reasonably good mechanics can deal with regardless of the brand of the car. Then the secondary issues crop up...no mechanic can do anything about some of the designed-in failure modes that are particular to GM. The gasket issues, the plastic manifold issues, the cracking block issues, etc are corporate problems and require action from corporate and down.

In the latter case, GM just seems to be in particular focus right now.

I don't think there is too much mystery about what makes these cars tick. It is when they crack and crumble that the ire sets in.

This is not a group limited to professional mechanics, nor is it a technical only group. Note the group is called alt.autos.gm and that is not very limiting.

Yes, we talk, we BS, we reminisce, and quite often there are good solutions to repair problems as well.

Some here are beginners, some practicing professional mechanics, some rather decent hobby mechanics.

You are invited to contribute, or not, as you wish.

Reply to
<HLS

Just an FYI to confirm my posting. I have placed 2 posting here in the past couple months for a '94 Saturn, one on how to replace a window motor and one on what might be causing a fast idle problem, I did not get any replies to either posting and neither would require a PHD in mechanics to give an opinion, but look at the replies this posting got.....lots of BS answers.

ZoomZoom....and nope I don't drive a Mazada.

Reply to
ZoomZoom

Sorry about that... I had actually checked backwards on this news server, and could not find previous questions, but the posts are not necessarily held a long time. I am sure I could go onto Google and find them.

Have you now resolved the problems?

Reply to
<HLS

don't search on zoomzoom, it was posted under a different name, just search on '94 saturn'. As far as how I resolved my problems:

  1. Problem: Both front door window motors do not working. Resolution: I use the back windows.
  2. Problem: Fast idle: Resolution: it's still fast, not a major problem, it just uses a little more gas, but that's stuff is cheap. This car is not worth paying someone to fix it, it's junk, 80K and not likely to make 100K. The only good points: It does run and it was cheap.

ZoomZoom

Reply to
ZoomZoom

Ok - I did that search and like HLS, I find no record of any such posts in alt.autos.gm. Not to say they aren't there, but in a quick google search of "94 Saturn", nothing matching your description showed up.

So - you expect us to know that you use multiple screen names and to be able to sort through the myriad of posts that hit usenet in a day, to find posts that you may have submitted and which went unanswered. (Not that this is a customer service department and the role and obligation of everyone here is to answer every question or comment that hits the forum).

There are lots of folks here who are willing to offer any advice that they have to a matter and the evidence of that is clear if you look past some of the non-technical discussions and examine the help needed types of things. Seldom do questions go unanswered. Frankly, I find it hard to believe that two posts from you, seeking technical help, went totally ignored. This is a general GM group and the non-technical threads are just as valid here as the help-needed threads.

Some folks here are very forthright in their offerings and don't care about tirades and rants. Some look at your most recent thread and to them it has the appearance of nothing but a crank. Your reply above almost seems to confirm that. You indicate that the car is not even worth putting anything into, yet we are supposed to be showering you with help.

Ok - I'll help. Replace the motors in the doors for the power windows. Should be available either from the junk yard or from the dealer - the former being the cheaper alternative. Saturns are actually fairly nice to work on in that the outer door skins come off giving access from both the outside and the inside.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks for the input, just knowing that they have to accessed by removing the outer skin helps out greatly, I had removed the inner door panel only to find nothing but metal and no access to the motor.

Here's a posting I placed on 7/17, and no replies:

I've got a 1994 Saturn SL2 Twin Cam and it has started idling fast when I slow down at stop lights/signs, it races up to around 2500 rpms and after about 10 seconds it finally realizes that I'm stopped and the the idle speed falls to 1000 rpms or less like it should be. Anyone know what might be causing this?

Reply to
ZoomZoom

"ZoomZoom" wrote in news:PS4yg.8022$D% snipped-for-privacy@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com:

I had a 1998 Saturn SL1 (single cam engine) and it was doing that. Turned out to be the throttle positioning sensor (if memory serves -- been 4 years ago). It was only like $100 to fix at the Saturn dealership with labor/parts. I took it to the dealership so they could hook it to their computer, to save me the time/money of swapping out parts to find the problem. That Saturn was probably the best car I've ever owned -- smooth, fun to drive, personality. I bought it with 30K miles. Your problem could be a vacuum leak or an electric problem or computer problem or the throttle position sensor. What makes you think it won't last long? Was it abused and not maintained well by previous owners? Saturns are great cars. They really became great in 1996 when they got a major restyle and looked good finally.

Reply to
grappletech

Do you have a PHD in mechanics? I didn't think so.....therefore you ought to be able to "give an opinion" on your own problem, or perhaps even fix it! Go for it!

FFS, man.....nobody is here because of the money!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks to all for the input, I knew if I could get some attention I could get a little feedback about my saturn's problem. Thanks again..

Reply to
ZoomZoom

The high idle in your Saturn could be a faulty IAC (idle air control) motor, or possibly a vacuum leak.

Reply to
mike53818